Inflatable Ring Problems

G

G'day all from Perth Western Australia. A couple of questions, the first one is in regards to UV rays discoloring and the breaking down of the inflatable ring, any ideas how to stop this happening? and now the second question, the valve on the inflatable ring is leaking, any ideas on that one?

Thanks guys,

Steve J.

G'day Dave S. Sorry I didn't give more of a description. My pool is an above ground inflatable ring type pool, I can't think what brand it is but I had it sent from the USA. The inflatable ring I speak of is the ring around the top of the pool that floats on the top of the water and keeps the sides up. I hope the description I gave helps you.

Regards,

Steve J.

I should have guessed that but my brain was in "dead" mode.

While UV eventually gets almost everything man made, vinyl pools are pretty darn resistant and I wouldn't think it would be an issue.

Are you already experiencing some deterioration or just trying to head it off before it starts?

If you can identify where the valve is leaking you may be able to seal it with some tape or flexible, non-drying putty. Is there is no good permanent fix that I am aware of when the valve starts to leak.

You can use a cover to protect the inflatable ring on days when the pool is not in use. Again, I'm not sure of an answer that doesn't involve covering the ring to block the sun's rays. Like Dave said they do withstand sun very well, but you may see some effects over time. Usually the ring fails for other reasons before the vinyl breaks down. The inflatable rings are vulnerable to leaks at seams, and punctures from animals too.

G'day all. Thanks for the reply's. I've had the pool for three years now but this summer season the pool has shown signs of UV damage, we do have a harsh summer here in Perth Western Australia and this year has been the hottest on record. I have been using a Car (Motor Vehicle) vinyl protectant but that gets washed off with the kid's splashing around, the pool get's used every day so a pool cover is out of the question. I was thinking maybe place the pool cover on and cutout the inside, leaving the pool open but the inflatable ring covered?

The valve, I was thinking to clamp a short piece of Polly pipe inside of it, and then a soft plastic tube clamped to the outside of the Polly pipe. Once inflated then fold the soft tube and fastened airtight?

If anyone can add to this the please do so.

Regards,

Steve J.

I'm not familiar with the valves on these but I have had some success with leaking valves on inflatable air mattresses. What I do is use a portion of a latex or similar glove to line the leaking area. For example on one mattress the push to close plug and the screw to close plugs leaked. I wrapped the plugs with the glove's material and the leak was dramatically reduced. I have no idea if something like this could be done on those inflatable ring pools but it could help.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.