Hot tub vapors

Apr 21, 2008
Hello all
History. I have has this hot tub for about 4 years. I tried the chlorine method at first and epic fail cause my kuds would go in while I travel and wouldn't add chlorine.

So I have been pretty successfully with Bromine Tabs.

I use about 3 tabs a week -10 days. I use the sticks to test and appears to have go Evelyn of bromine. Purple on the stick to pink. All other parameters seem ok.

It's 450 gallon Jacuzzi Brand Spa with an ozonator. It have a built in tube that I just add the tabs that fits in one of the filters to distribute.

It seems lately that only when our kick on the jets and turbulence is created it gives off a noxious gas that makes everyone cough.

Even after we leave the jets off and the cover for a while then jets back on it happens again. I have let up on the chemicals for a week or do. Then the bromine level droos and still have the coughing fumes.

Ant ideas?

You might be smelling bromides (used bromine), or your test strips might be off. To fix the bromide problem you could shock using dichlor or using MPS. To fix the testing problem, buy a good test kit.

It could be bromamine since that smells worse than plain bromine. Shocking with chlorine should take care of that. Or it could be an excessively high bromine level since the ozonator will make more bromine from bromide and the bromide will build up as you continue to use tabs so your average bromine level will go up unless you lower the amount of time the ozonator is on. Though the fact that you let the bromine level drop and you still smell something would indicate bromamine or some other volatile chemical (when you let the bromine level drop, the bromamine level can still remain the same).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.