Northern California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I have an Intex UltraFrame 18' round pool. Let me say for the record, that I love it. I'm using the pump/filter combo that came with the pool and I've coupled it to the Intex SWG. I love the SWG, but I'm not a fan of the pump and I hate the type "A" filters. They're expensive (Intex expecs you to replace them every two weeks, but I just hose mine off) and clog up far too quickly. I also have a "Wanda the Whale" pool cleaner. When there is adequate flow, she cleans really well, but with a 1500 gph pump and a clog prone filter, she can be problematic at times.

I'd like a better pump and filter. I love the idea of DE, but I'm not willing to spend the kind of money needed for DE. I've been looking at sand filters and I've heard if you use Zeolite that they come close to the DE filters anyways. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this!) I found a Game SandPro 50 (1/2 hp, 2460 gph) at my local Leslie's and if I add a bag of Zeolite I can get out the door for $310. I'd like to know if anyone out there is running a GAME setup and what you think of it. I'd also like to hear from others, what are you guys running and why?

I should also note, that with a new pump, I plan on moving to a hard-plumbed system.

Thanks in advance guys!

--Jonathan

Re: Intex UltraFrame 18' w/ original pump - like to replace

I don't recommend Zeolite. When it works people love it, but there are unusually high rates of reported problems.

Just about any of the pump/filter combos will be a large improvement over what you have. The larger of the two Intex sand filters is highly recommended.

A simple sand filter will be a huge step up from the Intex cartridge. The extra microns are not something you are likely to notice coming from where you are.

Sent via Tapatalk...

I purchased the mid-sized Intex sand filter last summer for $100. and was very satisfied with it. I have the 18'x48" ultra frame, and it kept the water Chrystal clear running an average of 4 hours per day, if I recall correctly.

The intex 2650 pump and 16 inch sand filter combo is a excellent setup for your pool and all the fitting will connect.....remember intex uses their own thread and can be a p.i.t.a to hard plumb without some knowledge of plumbing, but i did mine and several others on here have also.....it is a excellent mod to your pool...and you can find the intex pump/filter combo for around 225 dollars.....good luck

The consensus seems to lean to the Intex 2650 filter so that's where I'll go. Its a lot bigger than I'll need, but that also seems to be a theme for filters, go big!

Last question I guess is Zeolite or sand? JasonLion doesn't seem to like Zeolite because of a higher rate of problems. I was only looking at it because of it'll supposedly filter "everything" out of your pool. I'm perfectly happy to stick with sand, but is there a type I should go with? #20? Is there a better number?

Last year with my crappy type "A" cartridge, the pool began to take on a white cloudy appearance. I tossed in Leslie's "Ultra Bright". The pool cleared up quickly, but I'm hoping I won't have to do so with sand. Thoughts?

Thanks!

--Jonathan

I was also wondering the same thing about the sand ?? i'm also gonna go with the 2650 modell and i have a 15x48" and i want to hard plumb it

jspeacock1978 said:
The consensus seems to lean to the Intex 2650 filter so that's where I'll go. Its a lot bigger than I'll need, but that also seems to be a theme for filters, go big!
It is not bigger than you need. Our recommendation for your pool, assuming it is 18' X52", then your volume is ~7300 which we would recommend a minimum 1.4 sq. ft. sand filter. The intex 2650 is 1.4 sq. ft.

Also, do not buy the unit that has the saltwater chlorine generator (swg) attached. If at some point you want to go swg, then buy it seperatly.

jspeacock1978 said:
Last question I guess is Zeolite or sand? JasonLion doesn't seem to like Zeolite because of a higher rate of problems. I was only looking at it because of it'll supposedly filter "everything" out of your pool. I'm perfectly happy to stick with sand, but is there a type I should go with? #20? Is there a better number?
I too would not recommend the zeolite. That filter with standard pool sand will be a huge improvement over you current useless cartridge. I use pool sand and my water is crystal clear.

jspeacock1978 said:
Last year with my crappy type "A" cartridge, the pool began to take on a white cloudy appearance. I tossed in Leslie's "Ultra Bright". The pool cleared up quickly, but I'm hoping I won't have to do so with sand. Thoughts?
You will not need the "ultra bright" with properly maintained pool chemistry (or any other magic elixir). Post your test numbers when you get the pool filled and we can help. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/what-we-need-to-know-to-answer-your-questions-t10341.html

FILTER:
My pool is an 18'x52" at ~7000. I feel even better now that the 2650 is the unit to buy. It'll be a few months until the pool is "open", but I'm going to pick one up within the next 60 days. I'm already using the Intex SWG so I won't buy one attached to the filter, but I'm in IT. I hate when gadgets are glued together. Its always more of a headache in the end! Looking for the separate units is good advice though.

ZEOLITE:
Two strikes and Zeolite is out! I find it amusing that Zeolite is "supposed" to be the thing to buy (way better than sand), but I can't find anyone online who is in love with it. ;)

CLOUDY WATER:
I usually take my water to Leslie's once / week when the pool IS open and with their help I've been very happy with the pool. Its usually very clean and because of the salt system, I find I have to add small amounts of chemicals about twice/year (usually just a bit of dry acid). We only noticed the cloudy water when we were in the pool 4-6 hours on both Sat & Sun and about an hour each Monday - Friday. When the guys at Leslie's tested the water, I believe everything was spot-on, and one treatment of "Ultra Bright" fixed the problem. If it happens this year with the sand filter, I'll post numbers before I dose the pool. I love running with so few chemicals. I think its healthier and cheaper!

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

--Jonathan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I wanted to let anyone who cares that the 2500gph pump with Unicell B sized replacement cartridges work far far better than any Intex branded cart it's not even funny. I bought mine for around $15 apiece and simply switched them out when flow slowed down. Went from replacing Intex every 5-6 days to 12-14 days with Unicell branded carts.

After removing them, stuck them in 5 gallon bucket with lid and 1/4 cup bleach and capful of wisk detergent (hose off before and after plunge in bucket), then soak in bucket with 1/4 cup bleach. I had three filters and rotated them. Really only needed two.

If you don't want to screw with sand, DE or anything else. This is an excellent alternative using stock intex stuff with superior Unicell filter material. The quality/build difference was amazing the first time I used them.

Bob E.

I found a 2650 gph Intex sand filter last summer on craigslist. We have a 20 x 48 Intex pool. It works great...our water was crystal clear with only running it 4 hours a day. We used pool sand in ours. Best move we made was upgrading to a sand filter.

I have the G.A.M.E. SandPro 75 3/4 hp on my intex ultra frame 26' x 52" 14667 gal .
It works like a champ. I can aim the return toward the side and the water makes the circle around the pool or aim it toward the center and it will blow the debris on bottom center out toward the sides so I can get it out with a net. I also have the intex SWCG . Love that too. I currently have the swg timer set for 12 hrs. I ran it for 3 days 12 hrs each day as recommended by intex. Smelled chlorine (which is very unusual), it was up to 10.5 ppm (too high). All this just to say that this pump/filter and the swg are more than sufficient. The pump/filter and the swg are troopers! I purchased these items due to budget constraints but I am very pleased with them.

Help plss, last year when i closed down the pool i stored everything together in a shed but yesterday when i went to check everything out i noticed that all the plastic skimmer parts had turn a brown collor.

I tried soaking them in bleach but nothing happens.

anybody that knows what it could be and if there is solution to remove brown collor pls help?????

If you can get some Magic Erasers that might take it off. It all depends on how deep the staining is. You can also try some crushed vitamin C tablets make a paste and rub on it and see if that lightens them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.