Some nasties aren't killed for several days in a chlorine pool

Nova13

Jan 23, 2013
Well not to upset the apple cart, but I read that some nasties aren't killed for several days in a chlorine pool they are somewhat resistant for a while.

My wife a few years ago took the kids to water park and she got a bad staff infection on her arm from a mild abrasion of a surf raft, nothing is perfect I guess

Re: ECOsmarte pool

I think cryptosporidium is the only thing that lasts in chlorine...rare though. As for the waterpark, either the infection came from something else or there was no FC in the water. Staph can't survive in water with enough FC.

Re: Some nasties aren't killed for several days in a chlorin

While staph might be common in some areas of of some public pool facilities, I would tend to suspect showers, but it is quite unlikely to be spread through the water since normal chlorine levels will kill it quickly.

Re: Some nasties aren't killed for several days in a chlorin

Cryptosporidium or any other pathogen which form cysts are resistant to chlorine but will die in time. Higher concentrations of FC and ozone speed the process up. Chlorine kills staph aureus (including methicillin resistant staph) in mere seconds.

ETA: Properly chlorinated pool water eliminates the staph problem in the water but it won't do much on fomites such as noodles, rafts, boards and other floatie toys. Surfaces such as those require higher concentrations of chlorine to disinfect. A 10% bleach solution would work to disinfect those items.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.