Why are Jandy valve handles opposite most other valves?

gtemkin

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2008
Seattle, WA
This is more a curiosity than a problem but why is it that Jandy pool valve handles are positioned 90 degrees from the manner in which most other valves operate? The best example would be a Jandy 2-way valve, in which the valve is open when the handle crosses the pipe and closed when the handle is lined up with the pipe. That's exactly opposite of almost all other bar handle valves.

Seems like Jandy could have provided additional splines in their handles to allow for an alternate (standard) handle position, but no such luck there.

I've seen a few threads from new pool owners asking about problems operating their systems and sometimes I wonder if what they're saying in words ("I opened valve X") is really the case. Possibly when they say open, the valve is really closed and visa-versa.

Hoping to hear an answer that relates to early attempts at automation of ancient Roman baths or something like that!

Gregg

That is standard for the better quality pool valves. The handle "points" at the plate inside the valve that blocks the flow. When the handle in lined up with the pipe the plate is blocking off one of the openings.

This is inconsistent with the way ball valves work. However if Jandy changed the handle alignment on the two way valves, their three way valves would become either inconsistent or extremely difficult to understand. So really what is going on is that they applied a system that was originally created for the three way valves to their two way valves as well.

Really the best way to look at the valve handle is that there is usually a tab opposite the handle that says "OFF" or "CLOSED" ... that to me makes it pretty clear what pipes are closed and what are open.

In my case, my equipment is in a little pump room attached to my garage. It's not well lit and when I vacuum I have to consciously think to myself "OK, closed is open and open is closed". There's been several times I've messed up and ended up starving my pump. Wish there were some good stories with this that would help me remember. :wink:

Melt In The Sun said:
If it bothers you, you can loosen the handle and make it turn whichever way you want :)

Wish that was the case, but the handles are splined to the valve shaft with a spline pattern that isn't symmetrical. That means the handle can only go on one way, the odd way that Jandy chose. The thumb screw on top of the handle holds it on and allows you to lock the position of valve, open, closed or partially in between, but doesn't change the relation of the handle to the valve position.

There is a tab on most valves opposite the handle that says off, it is hard to see. The valve is off when the handle is pointing away from the pipe you want off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Opposite the handle, there is a triangular shaped tab, you should visualize this as the gate or blade in the valve, directly below that tab. It shows you not only wheather the valve, open or closed, but also just how far the gates is blocking the opening. That allows you to be much more precise in "throttling" control of the flow.

There was a thread from a house renter two weeks back and that was the issue for me, all his pictures would indicate that the valve was totally closed and starving the pump. Unless, of course, the valve is the reverse of other Hayward and jandy valves....sheesh.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.