Pavers right to pool edge instead of coping

Not at all easily. You could use a solider course of standard pavers in a coping pattern, but it is extremely difficult to just continue the main field pattern right up to the water.

Coping is normally isolated by an expansion joint from the main field of pavers, and the portion of the coping right near the water is not fully supported the way the rest of the coping block is. Continuing the filed pattern right to the edge would result in occasional small pieces of paver right near the edge, which would not be sufficiently supported.

I am in the middle of a diy pool build and using pavers. I chose a concrete bullnose step tread at the water edge. I will butt my pavers up to this. I have seen a soldier course used with pavers, but it is a rough look and doesnt seem very secure. Most paver brands have other size options that will match there pavers. i.e wall caps, step treads, column caps, etc. These will give you a much stronger edge due to the larger surface area. Again, Ive installed lots of pavers and what you want can be done, but I wouldn't recommend it. I attached a pic of my coping and the pavers I'll be using around pool.
B142063E-2176-470B-858B-DD4040A8B9F3-17472-0000277C40A51DB7_zps077a41be.jpg

3C768CDE-5944-49A1-B56E-E9EB5099D913-23180-00002DC845E31694.jpg

FEF1BE4D-82F0-4B26-BECC-8BF2477E56F5-11854-000018B71BD3078D.jpg

What are your pool walls made of? If theyre poured cement, I dont think youll have any problem mortaring pavers down in a soldiers course fashion. If you have a safety cover, make sure teh anchors are very secure, and not relying on the pavers to hold them in, otherwise you may pop the mortar joint. This is what happened did our pool in before we rebuilt it, although we had a rotting wood beam under the pavers. We replaced with all masonry now, and the pavers make for a quite solid coping.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.