Los Gatos, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I have two things I really hate about cleaning the filter. If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it.

1. The drain plug is very difficult to remove. I have to use the neck of a large screwdriver jammed into the slot to loosen it and then I use the edge of a small wrench to go the rest of the way. The location is terrible, although I understand the reason for it to be so low. It is a drain plug after all.

2. The canister is difficult to seat and reseal without leaks. It usually takes me about 3 times reseating it, relubing it, retightening until there are no drips. Drips = air leaks when the pump turns off and lead to a pocket of air in the filter or even lost prime on the pump. Why isn't it more failsafe?

Also, my Blaster didn't work so well today. I hooked it to a different hose bib and it worked better. I think if I cleaned the carts more regularly I wouldn't have such an issue. I need to find a rubbermaid container that fits MY cartridge for soaking.

I took out my drain plug from my clean and clear and used a threaded PVC bushing and screwed a hose bib into it. When I want to drain the filter I just open the faucet!

Do you happen to remember the size? I suppose I can take the system down again and then bring the plug to the hardware store and put it together. You haven't had any leaking problems? Does your bushing have an o-ring?

salinda said:
Do you happen to remember the size? I suppose I can take the system down again and then bring the plug to the hardware store and put it together. You haven't had any leaking problems? Does your bushing have an o-ring?
The drain plug in the Clean and Clear series is 1" NPT. I got a bushing that went to 3/4" FPT and screwed in a hose bib. Ijust wrapped the threads on the bushing with teflon tape and did the same on the hose bib. IT does take a while longer to drain because of the smaller size but the advantage is I can attach a garden hose to it so the water does not flood my equipment pad.
I beleive the Clean and Clear Plus have 1 1/2" drain plugs so you will possibly need to use more than bushing. I don't know if they make a 1 1/2 to 3/4 " bushing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.