Bleaching the liner???

Fields

Jan 31, 2013
Columbia, SC
I was just talking to a friend about somethings I've learned while on TFP. One of the things he questioned was the use of bleach in a pool. He said that you could bleach your liner? Is there any truth to this? I have a deep blue liner and would hate to ruin it. :?

No. Any form of chlorine can damage a liner if you are careless when adding it, but powdered chlorine is worse when it settles on the bottom. Once chlorine mixes with the water, all forms are the same.

Any truth? Yes. Anything actually interesting or meaningful that you need to worry about? No.

If you pour full strength bleach directly onto the liner, instead of into the water, you could potentially bleach the liner. But if you add it the way we recommend, by pouring slowly in front of a return jet while the pump is running it is nearly impossible to cause any damage.

More importantly, this is true of all sources of chlorine, not just bleach. There are many sources of chlorine, including bleach, trichlor tablets, SWGs, etc. All of them have exactly the same effect as far as "bleaching" the pool goes. Sitting a damp trichlor tablet on the liner will actually cause more damage than bleach, since trichlor has chlorine and also is quite acidic, and acid is slightly more likely to cause damage than chlorine.

[Different way of saying what JohnT already said.]

Just to ad to this...

The liner in our pool is significantly bleached from the previous owner's pool care which included trichlor and calhypo.

Sent via Tapatalk...

A friend tried telling me the same thing once, ohh, and he was told so by the pool store that sold and installed his pool, ohh, and their recommendation was to regularily purchase a concoction of chemicals from their store.
Last year he continually fought algae outbreaks.....I have yet to have an algae outbreak and my liner looks great. I buy no name bleach from the big box grocer or Walmart, or Clorox when only that is available, and test regularly with my test kit.

As stated in pool school, poor your bleach in relatively slow and in front of the return port so it gets dispersed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.