new pool build Oklahoma

scubasandra

Jan 21, 2013
Hello everyone,

We are about to build a pool. My husband and I are trying to decide where to put our pool. The question is to center off of an existing patio and remove 3 large trees that shade our house or to have it a little of that same patio and save the trees. THe back of our house faces west and we have very large windows in the back so the trees do provide a great deal of shade.

Thanks for any input.

Sandra

I can tell you this much....having 3 large trees next to your pool might be an issue. Leaves and pollen will fall into it...so you might consider that.

Agreed, trees = debris in the pool and debris in the pool = effort to remove.
Trees can also be a desireable roosting or perching spot for birds who can then hang around your pool and put droppings into it.
Trees also limit the amount of sun reaching the water and that may impact your enjoyment if your water temps aren't what you'd like.

Personally, my recommendation is always: cut down and remove trees....their just trees, and it's always easier before the pool is done.

How far from the pool are the trees? Although trees do make pools messy, some are horribly messy while others aren't bad at all. Depends on the kind of tree really. Trees can also make the difference between comfortable water in August versus 98 degree uncomfortable water in August.

257WbyMag said:
How far from the pool are the trees? Although trees do make pools messy, some are horribly messy while others aren't bad at all. Depends on the kind of tree really. Trees can also make the difference between comfortable water in August versus 98 degree uncomfortable water in August.

I am with you scubasandra, hard to cut down our trees.

Any thoughts on a Bradford Pear and a Autumn Maple? In the fall, I know they will drop lots of leaves but am thinking the pool will be closed by then. During the normal season, would these be horribly messy?

Attachments

• pear.PNG
    pear.PNG
    505.8 KB · Views: 178
  • blaze.PNG
    blaze.PNG
    354.2 KB · Views: 178
I tend not to worry about the trees. I have lots of oak trees that drop tons of leaves and it's just a once a day job to keep the skimmer basket clear so I don't consider that bad at all. Our pool is still open when the leaves are falling and I just make sure to have the pump running enough to skim them so too many don't sink. I usually vacuum once or twice a week.

Bama Rambler said:
I tend not to worry about the trees. I have lots of oak trees that drop tons of leaves and it's just a once a day job to keep the skimmer basket clear so I don't consider that bad at all. Our pool is still open when the leaves are falling and I just make sure to have the pump running enough to skim them so too many don't sink. I usually vacuum once or twice a week.

Thanks!

The trees are about 4 ft away from where the pool will go. They are oak trees. I had a small above ground pool up last year and it seemed like the worst time for debris was after rain and of course in the fall. I was cleaning it about once a week and more often the less the kids were in it. The little pump and skimmer on that pook was not very good. I imagine it will be a whole new ballgame with the inground pool.
I really think I will leave the trees and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the information.

You do know that the roots extend out to where the drip line of the canopy is?

Is the pool going to be 4 ft away from the trunk? I would think twice about even attempting digging a pool that close to an oak tree.
At best, you'll probably kill the tree.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.