Pump flow rate question

For a 1.5 HP full rated stealth, flow rates will be between 70-90 GPM for most plumbing setups.

But why do you need to know your turnover? It is a very poor indicator of run time.

Mark,

I was curious how often I am filtering the entire pool. As I learn more on this site and have read about turnover I was curious as to my flow rate. My pool is 13,200 gallons. Using the Maximum Flow rate for the suction (which is lower than discharge) side I calculated that it is pumping 7200 gallons per hour so I am basically turning over the entire pool in less than two hours. Right now I am running the pump 4 hours a day and I have my SWCG set at only five percent and my chlorine is always high. Not that it is a problem because the pool is cold and not being used but I was running it for four hours because I did not know the flow rate and I wanted to make sure I turned the water over at least once a day to pass through the filter. It seems like I can cut down my runtime to two hours a day and still turn it over completely unless I am missing something. I have even started turning off my SWCG a couple of days a week to conserve its life since my free chlorine is always at 5. I also would not mind not running the pump so much to conserve power and extend its life during the cold months.

Thanks,

Dave

Just about everything about the plumbing affects the flow rate: the length of the plumbing, the diameter of the pipes, the number of bends, what kind of return fittings you use, and on and on.

Flow rate/turnovers don't normally mater, they are just a sometimes handy way of getting an initial estimate of what your pump run time should be. The real indicator of the ideal pump run time is how your water looks. See the corresponding article in Pool School for the best way to optimize your pump run time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.