Black Algaeon a Hot Tub

Feb 11, 2013
I have black Algae on the sides of my hot tub. Most are just above the water line but some are below. What have you found to be successful in removing it? Leslie Pools said their chemicals won't work because the water is too hot. I have scrapped what i can off and it was a tough job, like trying to scrape off old glue!

If it's black algae (it should look like a black scab and can be smeared dark green on paper)

If your tub is acrylic I'm assuming it's a standalone tub. Considering the small size of the tub (400gallons?) I would drain it completely then get in the tub and use a bleach soaked sponge and rub off what you can. If the sponge isn't coarse enough use something like a plastic scraping tool http://www.amazon.com/Nylon-Pan-Scraper ... fe+scraper

Basically black algae is usually a big deal since it's very rugged and can take a beating when it comes to shocking a pool. since you can drain your tub and physically scrape by hand and use bleach directly it shouldn't be too much of a problem. After you have everything looking clean I would fill the tub with a black algae shock level of chlorine to make sure there isn't anything hiding out in the plumbing that can start the process over again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.