Help Picking Auto Cleaner

May 18, 2008
I need recommendations for a new cleaner. Unfortunately my backyard backs up to a farmer's field and I have alot of dirt that blows toward my pool. I can spend an entire day manually vacuuming and the next day I will have a fine layer of dirt settled in the pool. My pool was recently installed and my installer brougtht me Smartpool Nitro cleaner but it won't climb walls and generally doesn't function the way I need it to. I need a cleaner that can help me keep up with the dirt and dust problems. I was considering the Blue Pearl. Any help is appreciated as I am tired of killing my back hand vacuuming.

Can you give a little information about your pool? Size, type etc. would help. It's handy if you add it to your signature so it's always there for somebody to refer to.

I've heard good things about the Blue Pearl, but don't have any first-hand experience with it.

I have a Pentair Legend, it has 4 wheels for balance and is "front wheel drive," that sucker goes way up my walls and sometimes up a step or two (I have a 'jewel' shaped pool with slanted walls in deep end, but not too steep)...I LOVE that cleaner, you can even rotate the tires when the front ones lose tread, which I did this season (3rd season with it). It is a pressure-side vac., so you'd need an aux. 'booster' pump if you got this particular model.

I'm in almost the exact same situation. (Farmland behind home with a lot of silty dirt blowing in every day.)

I got a Hayward Ultra Vac (also called Hayward Navigator) and have never looked back. It does a stupendous job, and has never gotten stuck. There is a gunite model and a vinyl model, so be careful to choose the right one if you decide go with it.

Also, these are about 1/2 the cost of many of the "robotic" cleaners ($329 after rebate), and everything I've heard says they do just as good a job.

Queequeg said:
I'm in almost the exact same situation. (Farmland behind home with a lot of silty dirt blowing in every day.)

I got a Hayward Ultra Vac (also called Hayward Navigator) and have never looked back. It does a stupendous job, and has never gotten stuck. There is a gunite model and a vinyl model, so be careful to choose the right one if you decide go with it.

Also, these are about 1/2 the cost of many of the "robotic" cleaners ($329 after rebate), and everything I've heard says they do just as good a job.

I was thinking about getting the same thing. Does it climb walls as well?

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jlhaz said:

Thanks!

Absolutely. In fact, it comes up and works it's way along the tile at the top edge at times. We have "lagoon" step that is only 1.5' deep and extends 8' into the pool, and this is the only area that the cleaner can't reach well but I honestly don't think any other cleaner would do better.

Queequeg said:
jlhaz said:

Thanks!

Absolutely. In fact, it comes up and works it's way along the tile at the top edge at times. We have "lagoon" step that is only 1.5' deep and extends 8' into the pool, and this is the only area that the cleaner can't reach well but I honestly don't think any other cleaner would do better.

Thanks for the info!

The rebate is now $75 which is why I am considering it even more :) Leslies has it for $349 before rebate, so final price would be $275

I researched robotic cleaners for several days and decided on the Blue Pearl. I bought it from Pooldr for $749 including delivery, brand new, with 1 year warranty, three filter bags and a lounger raft, and shipping all included, part of the package), it was the best price I could find even cheaper than walmart online which also sells it.
After several cleanings I'm very happy with it.

Smartpool Nitro

It the Nitro a pool bottom cleaner? Does it climb the hopper/angled surfaces but doesn't go vertical to clean the wall waterline?

Can you tell me why the Nitro does not "generally function the way I want it to"?

Does it work at all?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.