Please help with coping and expansion joint issue.

Apr 21, 2010
I see from reading on here that you do not want water in the expansion joint. I have about 100 ft. of Deck-O-Seal that needs replacing. I'm waiting for the weather to dry up so I can replace it. In the meantime there are areas like the one in the picture that are getting minimal water inside. My question is just how bad is water in that area? Is any water at all a horrible, terrible thing? Or is it OK as long as it is not a lot and only until I replace it very soon? It has been this way for a couple of months.
Also, is there anyone here that can identify what is going on with the grout in my coping? It is driving me crazy and I cannot figure it out.

My pool is 22,000 gallons.
Saltwater.
Above ground with plaster/pebble.
Cartridge filter.
I keep up with the balance and maintain an ever climbing PH.

Attachments

• Coping.PNG
    Coping.PNG
    474.3 KB · Views: 113
A little hard to tell, but that looks like caulk instead of grout.

How much damage can be done from water accumulating is dependent on where you live, Florida makes little difference as long as the water can find it's way out eventually. In Minnesota it is a big problem because it will freeze and damage the decking.

You need pretty warm temps to apply Deco-Seal. Like Dave said, if you are in the south and have well drained subsoil under the patio there shouldn't be a problem. Its a problem when clay takes on moisture and heaves. In very cold climates I guess freezing water could put pressure on the brick coping.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.