parallel pump in freeze protection priming problem

Feb 10, 2013
Medford, Oregon
I just bought a house with a pool. It has a spa, waterfall feature, and polaris cleaner. It is set up with two pumps. One pump serves the main filter poool/spa pump and the other pump serves the waterfall feature. They appear to be plumbed on the same pipe system however since I am having the following issue:

When the freeze protection system is activated (Jandy RS automated/controlled) both of these pumps are set to turn on. However, when both of these pumps turn on I find that the main pump will not prime automaitcally. Unfortunately this happens during cold nights and I find out about it after it has been running dry for a while.

I can get both pumps to run however if I first get the main pump primed and running and then turn on the waterfall pump. It seems that under freeze protection the waterfall pump will not allow the main pump to prime after it has been off for a while.

Anyone have an idea on how to correct this problem?

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

First off, pumps should not lose prime when they are shut off. That indicates there is a leak somewhere. Most likely places are the pump lid and/or drain plugs. Try some pool lube on the gaskets and see if that helps.

Secondly,for Medford Oregon, are you sure you need freeze protection? It looks like you are under freezing for only 7-8 hours a night which really isn't enough to cause any sort of freeze damage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.