Quick fix to Hayward Filter leak?

gkran

Feb 20, 2008
I took my Hayward DE-6000 apart for cleaning, reassembled, and now have a small drip where the top PVC enters the filter from the multipart valve. This happened last the pool guy cleaned it, and I thought he fixed it, although he may have done a quick kludge.

I would also like to do a quick fix now, and fix it right next time I disassemble it. Any chance of stopping the leak from the outside? Can I pop the filter top off, put some type of sealant around the pipe, without back washing? What sealant?

In the manufacturing process PVC fittings will sometimes have a seam contains extra material that runs perpendicular to the threads. I had to take a file and smooth this seam out and my leak stopped. The file needs to be in the shape of a triangle so as to not damage the threads.

Is there a sealant that is safe to use on the inside of the filter?
Something that would hold until next time I disassemble everything (and risk having to replace more PVC outside the filter).

I have used clear silicone (one part acetoxy rtv type) in the past for hairline cracks on a sand filter flange. I applied it to the inside. You need to have a roughened surface for it to "grab" to. It may work for a short time but it won't last forever. Also be aware that cracks in a filter are under pressure and could be the focus for catastrophic failure at anytime.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.