Our first design, did we pass?

geekfamily

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 5, 2013
Metro St. Louis
Hi everyone,

Our family has been dreaming of a pool for several years. After discovering this forum recently and reading a ton (plus pool school)...we have decided to design our pool and start getting bids. We plan to start getting bids in the next week or so.

We decided to buy (or is it rent?) the Pool Studio software to help with our design. My wife and I spent the weekend learning the software and designing. We would love to get any input from the super knowledgeable and friendly folks here.

Here's the equipment we're thinking (sizing may change depending on gallons of pool)

Pentair WhisperFlow 2 Speed - 3/4HP or 1HP
Pentair Clean/Clear Plus 320 sq. ft.
Pentair IC40 w/Power Center
Pentair IntelliBrite 5g LED w/ring (x1)
Pentair IntelliBrite LED Landscape light (x1)
Pentair IntelliBrite Controller
12V pool safe transformer for LED's??

Two questions we do have:

1) A portion of the area currently has a 12'x12' concrete patio. The new pool deck will be colored/stamped concrete. Even though the existing patio concrete is in good shape, we are assuming it will need to be removed, so new concrete can be poured. Our assumption is this would be best, versus trying to put a thin layer of new concrete (for stamping) on the existing patio.

2) The existing patio has a dozen 12v landscape lights, that we want keep (remove, then add back after PB is done). However, from reading on this forum, it seems a "pool safe" transformer is required. Question is, does the location of the transformer determine the need for a pool safe transformer? Our transformer is in the house, with the 12v leads running outside to the landscape lights. Not sure if that eliminates the need for a new Pool Safe transformer...or if simply having the 12v lights near the pool dictates that need.

Attached are a few pics:

Attachments

• AerialOne.jpg
    AerialOne.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 549
  • AerialTwo.jpg
    AerialTwo.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 547
  • AerialThree.jpg
    AerialThree.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 547
From the drawing is appears that you have no restrictions as to potential size or site. Is the rest of the yard huge?
How many gallons would this design hold?
Is one pool light sufficient? My pool has 2, one shallow and one deep. Not sure if this is required but distance from end to end may be a factor.
How deep is the deep end?
No spa? No water features? Is this a reflection of a budget concern or just exhausted from learning the program?

Hi! Thanks for taking a look!

Let me comment on your items:

Restrictions to size - The yard is not huge, I just did not add much beyond our max area to work with. there are 2 large trees on the outside of the fence that limited how far we could go (without including them in the plan).

Gallons - This is harder than it should be :( The PB we are calling first shows in the literature the pool is 20'x34' but one page says 6' and the other page says 8'. I am not sure which it is until we meet. We would really prefer the 6', but really like the shape/size, so if it is 8'...that is fine too. Once I know the depth and gallons, I may need to tweak my pump/filter/swcg. do you agree?

Pool Lights - We have gone back and forth on this one. Do you think 2 of the Pentair LED 5g's would be better. The pool length is 34'...either 6' or 8' deep.

Spa/Water features - Do you have any suggestions on water features? We are not sure what options/features would add to our design. We are open to any ideas that you think could enhance the design :mrgreen:

One other thing, if you look close, you will notice 4 black torches. We want those to be gas (ng). We are not planning to get a gas heater now, but want the gas line run and stubbed out at the pad for a future heater (if we decide it is needed). As long as they were running a gas line, we figured the gas tiki's would be nice.

Thanks!!

anonapersona said:
From the drawing is appears that you have no restrictions as to potential size or site. Is the rest of the yard huge?
How many gallons would this design hold?
Is one pool light sufficient? My pool has 2, one shallow and one deep. Not sure if this is required but distance from end to end may be a factor.
How deep is the deep end?
No spa? No water features? Is this a reflection of a budget concern or just exhausted from learning the program?

Nice clean simple design.

Yes to the two LED lights. I would place them on the long wall near the house. There can be glare from them if facing toward you. If placed in on of the ends would create some very dark shadows with that shape.

Have you thought of laminar deck jets for a water feature? We have a large wide spa spillover that make a pleasing sound that makes are yard feel more secluded. It drowns out any noise from the neighbors or nearby traffic.

How do you envision the use of the pool? Personally I would want some more seating area because I tend to want to lounge with a cool drink.

Blessedwithfivekids said:
You need two lights. As a water feature we have fountains outside the pool that shoot in. Four of them only cost $500.00. Best thing we did. I'll try to upload a photo.

Thanks for the 2 light recommendation! We were really unsure about this...thanks so much! As for the fountains, those sound great...any pics you might have would really help us visualize them :goodjob:

Really appreciate your time!!

JasonLion said:
Any landscaping lights must be at least 10 feet (horizontally) away from the water. You only need a pool rated transformer for low voltage underwater lights.

Hi Jason. That really helps on the 10' regulation. I will keep that in mind when planning their locations for the standard landscape lighting.

As for the pool rated transformer, I am thinking I will request the PB use one for our underwater IntelliBrite LED's (will request 2 LED's thanks to this forum :-D ). The reason is we also want a Landscape LED and that only comes in 12v, not 120v. Does my reasoning seem correct, keep all the LED's (2 pool, 1 landscape) as 12volt, using a pool safe transformer? Here is the landscape light we were thinking (so it changes color with the pool lights): http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro...te-color-changing-led-landscape-light-410.htm

Thanks for all the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
bigdav160 said:
Nice clean simple design.

Yes to the two LED lights. I would place them on the long wall near the house. There can be glare from them if facing toward you. If placed in on of the ends would create some very dark shadows with that shape.

Have you thought of laminar deck jets for a water feature? We have a large wide spa spillover that make a pleasing sound that makes are yard feel more secluded. It drowns out any noise from the neighbors or nearby traffic.

How do you envision the use of the pool? Personally I would want some more seating area because I tend to want to lounge with a cool drink.

Hi Big Dave. Thanks for the 2 LED recommendation, we are going to change that for sure. As for the location, your point about location makes perfect sense. If we put them on that long wall near the house, I am thinking they would be left and right of the center "bump in". Do you think that would angle them slightly to the ends, and prevent them from having too much glare to the seating location on the back side of the pool? I am thinking/hoping so...as you recommendation makes a lot of sense.

Great point on the sound of water. My wife mentioned wanting a cascade(?) for the reason, but I forgot to add it. I see Pentair makes a MagicFalls. For location, thinking maybe the backside of the pool, so it is visible from the main seating locations. Does that sound reasonable? I am assuming those MagicFalls can be put on a liner pool. Most of the pics were from non-liner pools.

Thanks for all the great advice!

I would consider a controller for the whole setup. Like an EASYTOUCH system. You can control landscaping lights , pool lights, pump and any water features. I would also get an intelliflo VS pump. You can also control the speed of the pump from the EASYTOUCH system. I love my setup.

I think you also should pay attention to what direction the pool faces, and where sun and shade come into play. I do not see your location, which is important as well. You ought to consider those exisiting trees, and the shade and leaf litter they may produce. Where does the prevailing wind come from?

What about shade? How hot is that decking going to be on the feet? Will you need umbrellas? In Texas, shade keeps the pool from getting too hot. Up north, you may need that sun to warm the pool. Also consider the color of surfaces, though I love the look of a darker pool, I cannot tolerate the overheating that creates here in Texas in a sunny pool. Depending on material, the deck color may or may not affect bare feet too much.

My house is on the SW side of the pool but as it is a one story house, it provides no shade poolside. All along that SW side, house side, of the pool we have a lot of umbrella sleeves set into the deck. One at the deep end, one at the shallow end, set up to allow for lounge chairs or a table set, then one on either side of the spa which also covers the swim-out ledge. After buying 4 large (9' and 11') umbrellas we have lots of shade for the new grandbaby. Even so, with our planned remodel, we will redo the deck surface to something kinder to bare feet than exposed aggregate concrete.

Be sure that your decking is large enough to allow for the tables and chairs and so on. You need 4' min at the outside of the table edge to allow for chairs to be pulled out for sitting, allow more for walking behind a chair. How may guests at a time? Sitting or lounging?

Will there be a grill somewhere? Gas hookup for that? Work area? [edit] I think I see the grill.

What about automatic pool cleaner? If those trees are deciduous that are just outside the pool area, you may need help with leaves.

This is based on code. However, transformer sharing is addressed only indirectly, so it is open to some interpretation. The basic idea is that if the wires for the landscaping lights were somehow shorted to high voltage wires, high voltage could be conducted into the pool through the shared connection to the transformer.

anonapersona said:
Pool equipment is right near the grill and seating area.... any chance to move that to the other side of that windowed part of house?
But it's up against the garage which is better than right on the other side of the wall at your headboard. I know that from experience. :cry:

AZHeat said:
anonapersona said:
Pool equipment is right near the grill and seating area.... any chance to move that to the other side of that windowed part of house?
But it's up against the garage which is better than right on the other side of the wall at your headboard. I know that from experience. :cry:

Ah, that makes sense. Ours is outside the master bath and I am aware of when freeze protection comes on in the night, spouse never notices but I do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.