'Swim Temp' heat pump STRC2-5 compressor kicks on and off

Feb 9, 2013
Venice, FL
Recently purchased a house with an in-ground pool. Pool was installed in 2005. Previous owner let me know the heat pump will not heat.

I had a look at it, messed with it some, fan turns on as soon as the pump is commanded to heat, thermostats work for both pool and spa. The issue is the compressor only turns on for a couple seconds then off. Tries to run again after 5 minutes or so.

This is my setup:

SwimTemp model: STRC2-5 heat pump
Pentair Compool LX100 wireless controller

Of course I don't have any manuals for anything, I'm not even certain I have the valves turned to allow water into the pump. Nothing is marked, and the previous owner told me nothing. Any help? I've been in contact with pool companies here, but would like to do some digging in the meantime.

Re: 'Swim Temp' heat pump STRC2-5 compressor kicks on and of

The first thing to do is post some pics so we can help determine if it's valved correctly.

A compressor kicking on and off is sometimes a sign of low freon. If the compressor is actually running for those few seconds that might be the issue, however, if it's just humming and not actually starting then it may be a capacitor.

I don't have too much experience with pool heat exchangers that use heat pumps as a method of adding heat. However there are a couple of things that can be looked at.

If you have no water flow through the heat exchanger than it's possible the compressor is tripping on high pressure fault because the refrigerant is getting too hot. Do the influent and effluent piping have temperature gauges? If I recall, you'll want a 10 degree difference in water temperature entering/leaving the heat exchanger. If the water flow is indeed not the issue, than it's possible the entire charge of refrigerant is completely off, being that you have a leak and undercharged, or the opposite of being that the heat pump is overcharged. Another thing, make sure that the fan is actually pulling enough air, just because it's moving doesn't necessary mean it's doing it's proper job.

If you are handy and have some idea and what you are looking at and own a VOM than you can do some electrical testing of the compressor windings, contactor for the compressor, the capacitor, etc. But only if you feel you know what you are doing. Electricity is a dangerous thing and should not be thought of lightly.

At the end of the day, a HVAC tech may need to be called in to verify what is going on.

Here is a picture of the whole works. I'm suppose to have a pool guy stop tomorrow to help identify the pipes/valves. We'll see if that actually happens.

Attachments

• 201 resize.jpg
    201 resize.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 44

Can you get a picture of the plumbing between the filter and the automatic valve? I can't tell how that's routed. Also what position the valves are in.

Here are a few more pictures of it, I used a red line to note the position of the valves. I'm not sure which way is on or off with that type of valve. They are controlled by the remote. The pool has a spa, air blower, jets, chlorinator.

Hope this helps?

Attachments

• 202.jpg
    202.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 34
  • 203.jpg
    203.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 204.jpg
    204.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 36
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.