flovis flow meter

If you can find an appropriate spot between the pump and the DE filter you will get a tiny bit more information that way. In that location you can measure the flow rate when backwashing, while after the filter will not be able to do that. Other than that one thing, it doesn't make any difference.

The downside to putting it before the filter is that it might collect some debris affecting the measurement. Plus if you ever need it to work properly as check valve, it is best to put it after the filter for the same reason.

Nova13 said:
Agree after filter that gives you the output to the pool

Nice unit but at a price, I've been using those clear plastic vertical ones for about $55, works well

The flovis claims to be quite a bit more accurate than many other gauges out there. Many are listed as accurate to +/- 10% of the highest reading. For a gauge that goes up to 100 gpm, the reading is +/- 10 gpm which is a pretty big range.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Yea Im sorry for not looking at responses, I love it, I got from David here at the site and it does just what I needed it to do so I can tweak my VS pump, pool has never looked better, thanks to this site and the BBB.

mas985 said:
The downside to putting it before the filter is that it might collect some debris affecting the measurement. Plus if you ever need it to work properly as check valve, it is best to put it after the filter for the same reason.

Since the flow meter is also a check valve it's perfect for what I need. I believe I'll be ordering one soon. The link from http://tftestkits.net/FloVis-Flow-Meter ... r-p74.html really needs to point to the manufactures online site so it's full capabilities are explained.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know they are expensive, but I purchased two of these because I read somewhere here a recommendation about putting a flow meter before AND after the pump. But after reading this post, I am wondering if I should leave out the one before the pump in order to avoid eventually clogging up the check valve and just install one after the filter.

It is extremely unlikely that a FlowVis flow meter would get clogged, even if placed before the pump. At the same time, I don't see any advantage to having two flow meters, unless your plumbing splits into more than one path and you need to measure flow on both paths at the same time (something like pool and waterfall). I would place it where ever you have good access to a clear section of plumbing and the meter will be easy to read. Finally, the FlowVis does cause a slight amount of back pressure. This is not a big deal, but it is a good reason not to use two when you only need one, as two will have twice the back pressure and every little bit of back pressure reduces system efficiency (all be it by only a tiny amount).

Distance doesn't make any difference. If 25 GPM goes through the pipe here, 25 GPM will also be going through the pipe there.

But if you split the flow so that some goes to solar and some goes to the pool, then it can be handy to have a meter that measures solar separate from the direct pool return.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.