Nature 2 Pro with BBB...

ChadR

May 18, 2008
I have a 35k gal vinyl pool with large sand filter and Nature 2 Pro G system. I've been using a commercial family of products whose main ingredient is tetraborate pentahydrate. I use the products for initial levels of 50ppm and weekly supplement to maintain those levels, their non-chlorine shock and swim, their 3" trichlor tabs, and microfloc product. I have some questions regarding a transition to BBB pool maint.

I understand every pool setup is unique. Based on pool use, water source, equipment, chems, maint, etc... it seems to (hopefully) establish stable water chemistry levels. Decisions on pool maint are usually based on cost and/or convenience, and are often trade-offs that are a personal preference.

I want to emphasize that my pool has always had sparkling, soft, clear water. And, has always had very stable chem levels. I have never once had any issues with algae, smell, color, etc... I've never had a problem with over-stabilizing. My pool has been stable to the point that I have never had to check levels more than once a week, and most often add the exact same doses every week and only testing every other week. I'm not sure its possible to have a more trouble-free, convenient pool maint regiment. So, what I am looking for...

The products I've been using are only available via one local pool installation/service company. That is not convenient, nor is it cheap. Of course, I'd like to save a hundred dollars or two each season, but I'm not willing to do that at the inconvenience of testing every couple of days. And, of course not at the expense of fighting algae or water quality issues.

1. Is there any reason why the tetraborate pentahydrate products for initial ppm and top-off maint can not be replaced with straight Borax (with acid to offset pH change)?

2. Are the trichlor tabs the "simplest way" to maintain chlorine levels without more frequent testing and adding bleach? Is this one thing that you give up convenience for cost, but not other effective benefits?

The Nature 2 assists in sanitation and perhaps softer, clearer water??? I know you can not use a "high pH" regiment with it. My pH stays low (around 7.2) and of course never had any staining.
3. Can you use the N2 and shock with bleach, or is that asking for trouble? Should I either give up the N2 or stick with a non-chlorine shock?

4. If I do use the N2 - is the recommend chlorine levels of 0.5 - 1ppm reasonable?

My wishes are to eliminate or reduce the inconveniences of depending on one local provider for the name-brand product. Not only could I save money on generic items, but not have to stock up large orders for the whole summer.

Thanks for any information or suggestions.

Chad R.

ChadR said:
2. Are the trichlor tabs the "simplest way" to maintain chlorine levels without more frequent testing and adding bleach? Is this one thing that you give up convenience for cost, but not other effective benefits?

No. You are adding CYA at a rate that will soon get away from you. A salt chlorine generator is the simplest way to chlorinate, although a Liquidator sodium hypochlorite feeder is close behind and quite a bit cheaper.

ChadR said:
The Nature 2 assists in sanitation and perhaps softer, clearer water??? I know you can not use a "high pH" regiment with it. My pH stays low (around 7.2) and of course never had any staining.
3. Can you use the N2 and shock with bleach, or is that asking for trouble? Should I either give up the N2 or stick with a non-chlorine shock?

Your Nature 2 adds metals to the water to help control algae. There are many negative issues with it, including green hair and staining of pool surfaces. A well maintained pool doesn't need it.

ChadR said:
4. If I do use the N2 - is the recommend chlorine levels of 0.5 - 1ppm reasonable?
No! The N2 does nothing to sanitize the pool. You still need standard chlorine levels.

Welcome to TFP!

You can very likely find the exact products you are currently using on the Internet if you really want to go that way.

1) Borax plus acid is exactly the same as what you have been using once it is in the water.

2) Trichlor is really simple until you have problems. Most everyone has problems eventually. Ignoring the possible problems, a SWG is even simpler than trichlor, though usually a little more expensive. No question, bleach is more work, it just isn't all that much more work, and it is usually cheaper.

3) You can shock with bleach even when using N2 but only if you manage your PH level fairly closely. I would get rid of the N2 because it doesn't do much for what it costs and there is always some risk of staining. Another thing to keep in mind is that there really isn't any need to shock unless something goes wrong, and if you are careful with your pool it is unusual for anything to go wrong.

4) No, even with the N2, a chlorine level of 0.5 is not good and 1 is marginal, even at very low CYA levels. At higher CYA levels those levels are not even close to alright. There needs to be enough chlorine in the water so that local chlorine demand, say from a person getting into the pool, doesn't overwhelm the chlorine supply in that local area of the water.

It sounds like you should look into SWGs (salt water chlorine generators).

You can use ordinary 20 mule team instead of the Supreme. You don't need the weekly treat. Read the sticky here on Borates. in the stickies section for details. http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=4921
However, the Supreme Plus is MUCH less work because it is pH neutral. You have to decide if the convenience is worth the expense. It is to me. The Proteam line is one of the better ones out there , IMHO. They have some excellent products such as Metal Magic and Supreme.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.