pool resurfacing advice re: plaster vs. quartz plaster

yolo

Feb 8, 2013
New to pools. The home we purchased last year needs rebar repair & re-plastering. Please advise on the actual longevity of the Quartzcapes, Colorscapes, Gemstone type surfaces. We've ruled out the pebble finishes, because of the polarized opinions on them & the cost/benefit doesn't fit our needs. How long have the quartz plaster finishes been around? Is it more for aesthetics? Will the surface of the quartz become more rough as it ages? White plaster was recommended by two of the PB for our needs one recommended an additive to prevent staining (Meta-Max). Any information would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. :lol: I am not a plaster expert so must pass on most of your questions. An additive to plaster may be very marginally helpful to prevent staining but I wouldn't pay more than about 50 cents (total) for it. :mrgreen:

Correct pool chemistry will keep your plaster free of stains and incorrect chemistry is probably 90% of the cause of plaster staining.

In addition to my original question....If anyone has had to sell their home w/pool, what kind of response/feedback do potential buyers have towards a particular finish, would having a particular surface be a plus, minus, or non issue. If we end up staying here longer than 3 - 5 years we can revisit the pebble surfaces.

We have weekly pool service & testing and they clean out the filters, I think at least once a year, maybe more. The Meta-Max additive would cost another $550.

The staining that people, on forums, talk about when they complain about plaster is due to poor maintenance rather than the nature of the material? I've read that quartz may stain as well so that may also be a maintenance issue?

The staining that people, on forums, talk about when they complain about plaster is due to poor maintenance rather than the nature of the material? I've read that quartz may stain as well so that may also be a maintenance issue?
Yes and Yes. There can be a few different things that cause the stains but most always it is improper maintenance. This site is aimed at folks who want to learn about their pools and is made up almost entirely of pool owners who have learned or are learning about proper pool management.....water, equipment, etc.

When you get a chance, look into Pool School in the upper right hand corner of the page. It will be a bit intimidating at first but there is a wealth of knowledge there.

I don't have all the signature information yet. I don't know how to add it under my member profile either. Didn't see it answered under troubleshooting. I'm not tech savvy.

To edit your signature, press the User Control Panel button just below the TFP logo at the top left of every forum page. Then click the Profile link, just to the right of Options in the sub-sub-heading. On that page you can enter your location. Finally, click on Edit Signature link, towards the left under Overview & Profile, to change your signature.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.