Did you install your own pump? How'd it go?

Drockfresh

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2012
Austin, TX
Did you install your pool pump? Was it a big job?

I need to replace my noisy old single speed. I am thinking about ordering online and installing a Pentair Intelliflo.

I have a great plumber friend who can help plumb the lines. I can figure out the electrical (or have my electrician do it for $75). It's already wired for 220.

The local pool guy quoted a marked up price for the pump, it is marked up by 50% over the internet price, plus his installation fee of $250.

So it is a $1000 pump that he would charge me $1500 for. I wouldn't mind just paying the install fee, but the markup is alot.

It seems to me that it is "only" plumbing two lines and connecting the electrical wiring.

Is it that big of a DIY job if you are handy?

If you are comfortable enough to glue pvc then you should be fine. Just remember not to use any more than one layer of teflon tape on the screw fittings. A flexible pipe dope is recommended. Measure then cut, if you can get your hands on flex pvc it is much more forgiving

I installed my pump myself. It's pretty easy to do. The wiring was probably the easiest part, just pay attention to how the original one is wired up before you remove it and you should be fine.

BTW, if it's working fine but is just noisy you might be able to just rebuild the motor (replace the bearings). I have gone this route too. I just removed the motor and had a local place rebuild it for less than a hundred bux.

I replaced my old pump with an Intelliflo. Hardest part was the plumbing because the old pipes did not line up with the new pump so I had to replace more of the plumbing than
I anticipated. I think it took me about half a day including a couple of trips to the hardware store.

Good luck!

I've done three. The first was in 1970 in the galvanized pipe era when I was only 17. PVC is a lot easier--especially if you have a power miter saw. My own most recent work was far superior to what the clowns at Anthony-Sylvan had originally done in 2004 (I upgraded to a 2-speed, maybe three hours because I added unions and got rid of the stupid Nature 2.)

The first one was the biggest job because I replaced the filter as well. Or, more precisely, since there were two cast iron rock and sand filled monsters, I just put a new stainless sand filter in front of them and left them in place for the next thirty years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.