Attaching Superpump to 3 inch brass discharge hose

Matt Ush

In The Industry
May 18, 2012
I have a portable Hayward Superpump that I bring with me during pool openings for algae cleanup. I'd like to be able to convert its output to that of a trash pump. What I mean is I want a 3 inch brass male fitting on the Superpump so I can connect my 3 inch trash pump discharge hose. The reason for this is so I can use the same hose for both applications. I usually used regular 1 1/2 vacuum hose but it takes up half the truck to have 200 feet of that on hand.

Can you walk me through how to do this? I'm looking for a strong solution, not just a rubber coupler.

That should be fairly simple, something like a 2" threaded CPVC out of the pump, PVC adapter from 2" to 3" pipe, a short section of 3" pipe, and then a slip to 3" male NPT PVC adapter. Or if your hose has something other than 3" NPT, there will be an additional adapter to 3" NPT that you can connect to that.

Is it a big deal to screw male pvc to female brass? I know you can't do it visa versa because of the thread gap. I tried looking for pvc with brass threading but i can't seem to find any in 3 inch.

I actually haven't purchased the new hose yet. We currently use pin-lug connections but since you said that, I wonder if it makes more sense to switch to cam-lock and just a male adapter for the superpump. That way the pvc/metal connection will be done once permanently, instead of screwing it on and off everytime.

Can I combine plastic and aluminum cam-locks together?
Just so I can sleep at night, I want the superpump to have plastic male cam, and the trash pump to have aluminum male cam. The hoses will all be plastic connections so the only thing metal is the trash pump. I can't think of a good reason to need metal all around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.