Electrical Shock from Pool Water

[Split by moderator (jblizzle) from electrical-shock-from-my-pool-water-t48616.html]

Hi to all that have been replying to this post. Not sure if this should be a new post or not.

I have a similar problem, only my shocks are only at the water when reaching in to clean the basket. It has happen randomly, but recently more frequently. I had an issue with the impeller loosing up, when fixing it there showed some water leakage from shaft seal. This might be why it has increased in frequency. This pool is very old, 1940's or 50's, it does not have a bond wire to the motor casing or access to any re-bar or grid or pool bonding connection, everything surrounded by lots of very thick concrete. I see 22 stray volts at the pump when turned off.

I want to bond the casing and need guidance what to connect it to. This pump is in a separate concrete block room about 30 feet from the pool, but there is a surge tank in the room. I have easy access to the water in the surge tank, copper water supply lines that are buried parallel to the pool (about 15 feet) and I can put a grounding rod inside the room fairly easy.

Can one of you guide me to the best and most practical way to bond this pump?

Thanks soooo much.

This is a 240V motor. I will check some ground and neutral connections between the panel and pump, but I have seen a stray voltage in other areas of the building and its not practical to debug the entire building at this point. In May/June I am having my entire feed, meters and panels replaced, at that time hopefully this issue will come to light with more clarity. Until them I want to create the best bonding to the motor and heat pump. Any idea's?

Since you have copper pipes your water will be bonded if you just hook the bond wire to the piping. I would run a wire from the piping to every conductive piece you can find and see if that helps. Without access to the rebar, it's going to be hard to bond the decking. You may be able to sawcut a kerf in decking and run a wire in it and then bond that. You'll have to use conductive material to fill the kerf once the wire in in it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.