Help me pick a pump!

AVR

Feb 6, 2013
Hey all, new to the forum, but seems like a great resource and good place to talk to people that know their pools.

I just bought a home and it has a fiberglass in-ground pool put in the 1980s. It has NO spa, NO solar heating. a few skimmers. very basic setup.

Size: Pool is 33' x 12' x 4.5' average. my calculations put it at about 14,000 gallons.
Filter: STA-RITE PTM70 Posi-flo II cartridge filter. NO pump and an inline chlorinator by sta-rite. Looks like there is a timer box that the electrical conduit is running from to the pump, so has a timer.

I have been doing a ton of research on pumps and wanted to get some opinions.

my electricity rate is 11cents / kwh in Tampa area.

I was looking at a 2 speed pump / motor or a variable speed motor. I want to get a decent build quality pump. Have been focused on the Pentair / Sta-rite pumps.

I found a 2 year old Max-e-pro 1.5 HP pump on craigslist for cheap $75.. wondering if I can just get that, and buy a new 2 speed motor 1HP?? is it pretty easy to add a motor to the pump? total cost would be $300 or so for a 2 speed max-e-pro setup? or am i missing something?

I have heard Max-e-pro and whisperflo are great choices for good quality / reliability.

I also have considered the intelliflo VS, i can get the Intelliflo for $850 online...

Basically just would like someone knowledgeable to point me in the right direction..

1. NEW 2 speed
2. NEW Variable Speed
3. Try to get thrifty and get good quality pump and replace motor with a new one...

Any help you can give me would be very helpful.

Welcome to TFP!
Any of those options would probably be OK...buying a used pump can be a bit iffy since you don't know if it was run dry or had something else bad happen. You don't pay enough for power to justify a variable speed, but they can be fun. With a simple pool like yours there isn't really a point.

Something to check...I assume most of the plumbing is still intact, but with no pump? If that's indeed the case, take a few measurements (height of intake pipe off the ground, depth you have available, etc) and check the manuals to make sure what you buy will fit well. I know some pumps differ in height by a couple inches or more, and that can make plumbing a major pain.

If it were me, I would look at a new 2-speed. Don't discount Hayward or Jandy either...all make fine pumps and prices may vary widely for no obvious reason.

Can you verify the voltage that the pump has available to it? Might be able to tell based on the circuit breaker or wires running to the timer / motor.

I would recommend a 1HP 2-speed at the largest. The smaller pump will use less power and you have no need for high flow rates.

The 1HP 2-speed Superflo is a great pump if you have 230V ... usually comes with a speed selection switch built on to the motor.
If you have 115V, then either the 3/4 HP Superflo or 3/4HP Whisperflo are good.

As MITS said, Hayward and Jandy have pumps that are comparable as well.

i checked and there are 2 breakers labeled for pool pump, so i have been told that means i have 230volt??

does the whisperflo or max-e-pro 2 speed pumps have a switch on motor?

i have a mechanical timer on the power to the pool pump, i want to have this set-up so that i can switch the pump into the low speed setting, and have the power kick on and run it for 10 hours on low, then kick off. then when i need extra power to vacuum, ill manually go over and switch it up to HIGH power on the motor...

do they work like that?

Adam

What you describe is how mine is setup with the mechanical tuner and then I pick the speed ... high speed when I am running solar or cleaning and low speed at other times.

The Whisperflo does not come with a switch. If you have 230v, then the 1hp Superflo is a good choice.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.