Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just installed liquidator - finally

1. Back To Top    #1

Just installed liquidator - finally

I finally had a free moment to install my 8gal liquidator this morning. My equipment pad is about 1.5 feet below water level and I can get a flow rate of about 3-3.5 on the flow meter. I'm hoping this is sufficent. If it is not, what can I do to increase the flow? For what it is worth, I drilled the suction side hole on the side of my pipe just before the pump due to ease access. Would it have been better to try to drill it on the top? Also, I plan to use 12.5% chlorine in the hopes that that will offset any flow limitations I may have.
    28,000 gallon gunite/white plaster with 30ft RBB and 2ft sheer descent, 100 sq ft thermaledge, 50sq ft spa w/ 6 jets
    2HP Jandy pump, 60sq ft Jandy DE filter, 400,000 BTU Jandy LX Nat Gas Heater, 2 Jandy color lights + Jandy color spa light, Jandy Aqualink RS6, Jandy AquaPure 1400

2. Back To Top    #2
    With 12.5% you should be fine. If there are problems they will probably only be in the very hottest weather.

The location of the hole in the suction pipe doesn't make a significant difference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason. Do you, or anyone else, happen to know what the flow rate actually represents? In other words, does 3 mean 3 gal minute or hour?
    28,000 gallon gunite/white plaster with 30ft RBB and 2ft sheer descent, 100 sq ft thermaledge, 50sq ft spa w/ 6 jets
    2HP Jandy pump, 60sq ft Jandy DE filter, 400,000 BTU Jandy LX Nat Gas Heater, 2 Jandy color lights + Jandy color spa light, Jandy Aqualink RS6, Jandy AquaPure 1400

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    what the flow rate actually represents? In other words, does 3 mean 3 gal minute or hour?
    My thinking is it is simply a set of markings. Each individual pool will have different pressure differences across the intake/outake so the flow rate may very widely from pool to pool. I believe it to be simply reference marks for you to reset your flow.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Dave,

Didn't think about that, but it makes sense. So, after having my Liquidator online since 10:00am this morning, my FC level increased by 2ppm to 5.5ppm according to my trusty TF-100. This was with the setting on about 3. I just lowered it a little bit since I have a feeling it is going to shoot up a bit more.....will check again tomorrow night.

Dave - I saw that you came up with an approach to adding chlorine to the liquidator slowly from a 5gal carbouy. I'm interested in how you did that as I plan on using the same and it was very difficult to pour it in slowly and without spilling.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry
    Dave - I saw that you came up with an approach to adding chlorine to the liquidator slowly from a 5gal carbouy. I'm interested in how you did that as I plan on using the same and it was very difficult to pour it in slowly and without spilling.
    Yeah, nothing complex...I siphoned it out. I built a little plywood "stool" for my chlorine carboy...slightly taller than the water level in the liquidator.

Turn on the pump, set the carboy up on the stool and, using tubing the same size as the liquidator uses, insert one end to the bottom of the carboy and the other end into the funnel.

(I'm assuming you've started a siphon before so I won't get into that....I did get a little taste of the chlorine on my first careless attempt....DON'T DO THAT! )

That's it. If you have a 4-gallon liquidator, you could make the stool a couple of inches lower than the liquidator so it would siphon 4 gallons (roughly) and stop.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School