Electric sub panel recommend

Really the only thing that matters is that there are enough slots to hold all the breakers you need and whether it is an outdoor rated panel.

As with everything, there are the homeowner versions and the more expensive "commercial" lines ... but they all work just fine.

There are other details, such as the bus material, visual indicators on the breakers, etc that matter to some, but not really that important.

The cost difference between the residential and commercial grade boxes shows up clearly when you price out the GFI breakers you may be using.

Suggest taking a trip to Lowe's or Home Depot if any of those are near. They often have pre-packaged sets that include GFI breakers and are very reasonably priced. They're usually intended for spa use and therefor have capacity for just a couple of circuit breakers (CB) but you may find just the right combination of 50A and enough CB positions that'll work for you.

I just had a 40A panel installed for my pool. It was a bit of a surprise to me when the electrician said I could not just run romex through my attic but needed to run conduit in the attic for the panel. Also, he had said he could run a 55A panel for me on #8 wire... but when he actually installed it he breakered it at 40A saying he needed to derate the #8 wire because of the heat in the attic.

oh yes, he used a GE panel... I did not think to ask up front because my other 3 sub-panels are all Square-D an use common breakers - too late now.

JasonLion said:
There are all kinds of special cases in the code about cable runs. Using conduit is certainly not required, but I could easily see it being chosen as the simplest option in some situations.

The electrician we hired kept saying it was "required" although the inspector never looked at it. From what I understood (and I could be wrong) the requirement was for a 4 wire run with an insulated ground and individual wired in conduit does that. It was sure news to me since everything else in the attic is just romex.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.