Cartridge vs D.Earth filter experience and opinions please

All, i am relatively new again to a pool. The previous owners werent too meticulous w keep up and maintenance, and their service co. was horrible. Anyway, the cartridges need replaced, but someone encouraged me to check out a DE filtering option.

I have 2 Lab dogs, two kids, rock waterfalls that put all sorts of stuff on the pool floor. According to my buddy, a DE makes much more sense, and when i replace my current filters id be half way to paying for a new DE system.

Im asking for your input and suggestions. This is a 10+ year plan. I take care of the pool myself, work my arse off during the week, then turn into sport-o-rama Dad on the weekends.

Please share your thoughts. And i thank you for your time and info!

Re: Cartridge vs D.Earth filter experience and opinions plea

In my experience the DE filter will require less breakdown and cleaning than the cartridge. That might be helpful given your situation.

Each kind of filter has different advantages and disadvantages, so that no one type is best for everyone. Usually it comes down to personal preference. There is an article in Pool School discussing some of the specific pros and cons of each kind of filter.

Personally I like cartridge filters (but keep in mind that mine is larger than usual, which means little cleaning). But everyone has different preferences.

I went from DE to cartridge. I have had the cartridge filter for almost a year and not once have I had to clean it. The pressure has not ever moved and the pressure coming out of the return jets is as strong as day 1. The DE filter was a little over sized and the new cartridge filter is bigger than the one I had. I have not had to clean the filter yet but I may give it a cleaning before the pool season starts.

How often are you having to clean it? (fyi..we recommend cleaning when the pressure goes up 25% from the "clean" pressure)

If you are getting a lot of debris getting into the pool and having to clean it regularly, I too would think sand might be an option to look at if you typically do not have water restrictions.

Too Pool for School said:
According to my buddy, a DE makes much more sense
Did he say why?

I have a DE filter, and while using DE for the first year, I cleaned the filter a couple of times. I noticed the grids did not get that clean with backwashing only, maybe 50% of the DE was removed. Cleaning the grids was a messy chore. I switched to fiber clear instead of using DE, and now the grids are much cleaner after backwashing and the filter doesn't have to be broken down to clean it. The big problem with using fiber clear is that the filter needs backwashing more often now. I will say it needs backwashing every couple of months now, and I do a tear down every 6 months. The fiber clear filters smaller debris than DE and I believe this is why I need to backwash more often, but I would not say the water is clearer. I always see fine particles in the water from being blown in from the wind.

Another thing we ran into is we have restrictions on sending DE to the sewer, so I had to install a separation tank on the backwash line.

From everything I've read the biggest mistake one can make when choosing a filter is choosing one that is too small. For the most part, the bigger the filter the less cleaning you will have to do. I suggest to clean the filter every year for seasonal pools and twice a year for year-round pools, even if the filter pressure never rises. Proper maintenance is the key for being happy with your filter performance.

If water restrictions are not a problem and you have a place to easily backwash your filter I would probably choose a large sand filter. My 2 cents.

I have one of the largest cartridge filters on my 25k pool and have had it for 4 years now. I clean the filters twice a year and it usually takes me 3 hours for a good cleaning...I've also used the pool skimmer socks since day one. Filters still look like they have plenty of life in them too...

You may want to begin using skimmer socks if you are not already. This will trap a lot of this debris in the skimmer, at least the part that floats before it sinks. A pool cleaner would work on some of what is on the floor.

Water restrictions could play a part in your choice. Backwashing will consume a lot more water than washing a cartridge, I think. I do use a lot of water when I wash the cartridge, but I do it about 2 maybe 3 times a year. And I do it in the back yard, moving from place to place so the water is not wasted.

You may find that with new cartridges they will last longer between cleanings. I think my old cartridges were calcium covered perhaps. With the new set, and skimmer socks, I did not actually need to clean last Sept when I last did but winter was coming and so I cleaned the carts anyhow. Just to avoid having to do it in the cold. The pool runs all winter and it is still fine, 6 months later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks for the input and responses guys. To answer a couple of the questions, i am cleaning the cartridges about once a quarter during the off-season, and imagining having to do it once a month starting soon. These things are filthy when i need i clean them. Pressure is about 15 right after a clean, and as soon as it hits 25-30, the system pretty much stops cleaning anything all together.

Sounds like DE or sand is the way to go. I guess ill start reading about both and make a decision based on what i find. Any tips on the best place to purchase?

Any type of filter should be cleaned when the pressure goes up 20-25% of the clean pressure.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Skimmer socks will help alot with the dog hair. A cheap alternative I use is to get "big Girl" Knee high panty hose and slim them over the basket strainer. You can get a bunch for almost nothing if you look in the Family dollar type of stores.

You will be stunned by what you can catch in the skimmer with socks or knee-hi's. Such a cheap thing to try before you commit to new a new filter and deal with DE disposal issues or water restrictions.

I'll second the skimmer socks. They work great for pollen and anything else. Prefilter for the filter. Just keep an eye on them so they don't starve the pump of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ping said:
I have a DE filter, and while using DE for the first year, I cleaned the filter a couple of times. I noticed the grids did not get that clean with backwashing only, maybe 50% of the DE was removed. Cleaning the grids was a messy chore. I switched to fiber clear instead of using DE, and now the grids are much cleaner after backwashing and the filter doesn't have to be broken down to clean it. The big problem with using fiber clear is that the filter needs backwashing more often now. I will say it needs backwashing every couple of months now, and I do a tear down every 6 months. The fiber clear filters smaller debris than DE and I believe this is why I need to backwash more often, but I would not say the water is clearer. I always see fine particles in the water from being blown in from the wind.

What is "fiber clear"? Is that anything like Aquaperl or more like this?

ping said:
It is equivalent to your 2nd link, the cellulose fiber.

Found this one too. Did you check with your filter manufacturer first to see if they recommended it or just go forward on your own? I have a new Hayward to install this summer and have been looking at DE alternatives but haven't contacted Hayward (or even looked through the manual that closely) yet.

I never checked anything with the manufacturer, I just cleaned my filter thoroughly before using the fiber. Most of the alternatives are cellulose based and should be pretty much equivalent to each other. Your first link was volcanic based and is different than the others. I'm not sure what type of performance you would get from it.

ping said:
I never checked anything with the manufacturer, I just cleaned my filter thoroughly before using the fiber. Most of the alternatives are cellulose based and should be pretty much equivalent to each other. Your first link was volcanic based and is different than the others. I'm not sure what type of performance you would get from it.

I took the time to contact Hayward about using alternatives like cellulose and Aquaperl and this was their response:

"The Perflex DE filter is designed and tested for use with DE powder. We only recommend DE powder, but it is possible to use alternative filter media in the Perflex, which does not void the warranty necessarily."

So now I just have to decide between volcanic (Aquaperl) and cellulose (ZeoFiber). Anybody have experience with both and a preference?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.