Hayward 2 speed pump wiring instructions

Feb 2, 2013
I have purchased model # SP2610X152S Hayward 2 speed pump to replace my old single speed. The pump comes with a HI/Lo switch built in to the motor. How do I wire this pump correctly? I was told by someone that one had to add an extra wire. There are three terminals plus the ground. Please advise. Fred

Was your old pump wired to a 110 breaker? Is there only 3 wires? If so you need to upgrade to a 240 breaker and run a new wire. If you have to use it you can wire it for a single speed.

Hi, thanks for the quick response. My old pump was wired to for 220V. Where does the extra wire connect to on the switch? Do I need a new switch DPDT or can I just use my old switch? The new pump has the switch for Hi/Lo on the back of the pump motor, so it controls what speed I want. Fred

You shouldn't have to change your switch then. White wire is neutral, red and black are line, green is ground. Your pump should have a wiring diagram on the case.
When you ask where the wire is supposed to be attatched to......are you referring to the switch (or breaker) in the breaker box?.....or the connectors at the pump?

For 230v there is no white common wire running to the motor. Your on/off switch should work the same and require no change. The only reason you would need to add a wire is if the speed switch was not on the pump.

You need to connect one line wire to the motor and the other line wire to the middle of the switch. Then from the switch it should already have wires that run to the low and high speed terminals on the motor.

I think it would be best if the spst switch read on the line going to the speed switch.

Post up some pictures if you have questions about the wiring.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Start Over:
Pump is wired for 230V which was what my prior single speed was wired.
I have an Off/On switch on wall to supply power to the pump.
I have a new Hayward 2 speed pump with the Hi/Lo switch located on pump
The pump motor has (3) terminals i.e. #1, #2, and #3/4
The wiring points me to wiring Line #1 to terminal #1
Line #2 to connect to the 3/4 of the terminal.
Is this correct. Tried to make it as simple as possible

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hope I'm not interrupting the main thrust of this thread but I would suggest that in any case you use a double pole switch rather than the existing single pole switch. I'm thinking that your current switch is switching on and off only one of the two 220V lines. That might start and stop the motor but it's leaving the second line un-switched and therefor fully energized at the motor all the times. If someone thought the switch was shutting off electricity to the pump and started poking around, they would be in for a rude surprise.

If you let the two speed switch on the pump be the control for that function, then you can use a plain double pole switch (DPST) available at Lowes for about $13. That is different from a double pole-double throw switch (DPDT). The plain double pole switch is like a standard light switch, just ON and OFF positions. The double pole-double throw switch has three positions - OFF at the center position and ON at the up and the down positions.

Hope this doesn't complicate matters but I saw it as a possible point of confusion which hopefully I haven't made any more confusing!

Gregg

Gregg makes a valid point, but many pumps are wired with only once leg switched. Good habit is to always shut off the breaker.

As far as the wiring to the pump, without seeing the wiring diagram on the pump, I am but she what each terminal does. Although realize the wiring diagram on the motor may not take the existence of a speed switch into account.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

You really should post a pic of the data plate on the motor. Specifically the wiring diagrams. mfg's change the motor wiring from time to time and from model to model so it's better if you go by the diagram on the data plate. However, what you've described sounds like you're looking at the motor terminal board. Since the hi/lo switch is in the back cover of the motor you should be wiring one leg to that and one leg to the terminal board. The hi & lo connections from the switch should already be wired to the motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.