Winter Freeze

LI poolguy

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 16, 2013
Long Island, NY
Been extremely cold for the last few weeks. Finally warmed up enough for it to rain. Went to pump the cover off when I noticed that the cover has "sunk" by about 8". I said WTF! After pumping, I peeled back the cover... It was so cold, the top 3" of water was frozen solid and the ice dislodged the rubber return plug. I hate winter :rant: , summer can't come fast enough! Just ranting, carry on :-D

You are right on...summer can't come fast enough! I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan and we have been cold, too. Also ALOT of snow since last Wed. About 14 inches where I am with another 2-4" expected today. YUCK! The day before the snow started (Tues.) it was in the mid 50's. I"m ranting too, though it will do me no good. So a big breakfast and a nap is on my schedule today. Laundry and dusting is already done! And by the way, WELCOME LI poolguy, I see you are a new member. Thanks for supporting this site--it's the best thing I've ever done when dealing with my pool.

I'm new here too , and Summer can't come fast enough for us too !! I've got alot great tips and info on here when we decided to dip our toes in the swimming pool ownership about this time last year and I can say we had the best times since we got it !! We got a Intex 18 X 48 SWG and a 14'' Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump that my neighbor bought one year ago , he and his family was moving out of state and he told me that he would sell it to me for $ 50.00 !! I just want to say, Thank You for this forum for all the help I have recieved . :)

Uggh, another 1" of snow last night and more flurries today. After dealing with the flooding from the hurricane a few months back, lack of heat or power for 3 weeks, arguing with my insurance company & FEMA, repairs to the house & the never ending cold, this winter has really seemed like an eternity. I can't wait to put on my flip flops, crank up Jimmy Buffet on the ipod and finally open the pool! If only therapy came in a bottle, oh wait, it does!!

After winter winds shredded 2 covers by mid-December I just decided to let pool cover go. I'd go broke trying to keep it covered in a wind tunnel. Left my inner tubes sit in center of pool to help with freeze up.
Winter can't be over fast enough. I only worry about that pool about 12 hrs a day. Spring please come.

Glad to see I'm not the only eskimo with an ice berg in their pool, and spring fever on the brain. Only good thing about this winter so far is the days are actually getting longer.

Hey cramar, wifey and I were looking into that same Margarita mixer, how's it working out for you?

Unfortunately the Margarittaville mixer is packed up and stuck back in the supply room...waiting for spring :cry:

It was great last year, we really used it alot, it is a quality machine.
By the end of summer my 6 year old daughter became the bartender and loved helping make all the drinks, she really liked strawberry slushies.
It's incredibly easy to use, it really is a matter of just putting in fruit and liquid and then get to desired consistency.
Our favourites were pina colada's with pinapple mixed in, as well as mixed berry daquiries with raspberry rum. :goodjob:

It's a great mixer, only peeve is that the ice shavings drop into the mixer and splashes back up so it needs regular cleaning.

HouTex said:
I feel for you guys up north. It's about 72 right now and mostly sunny. I played golf on Saturday and I'm playing tennis this evening. Move to Houston!! Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Don't feel bad about rubbing it in. My dad lives down in St. Pete and he rubs it in almost every other day! He called the other day to say he had to get out his winter clothing because it dropped down to 50 at night. His idea of winter clothing is wearing socks instead of flip flops :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's a unique area around here, sometimes things across the Mackinaw straits can be totally opposite (our family loves going to Mackinaw and Traverse City, beautiful areas).
We were down in Onaway 2 weeks ago and north/south of Mackinaw were completely different, it was weird. Regardless, yup, we've got lots of snow in the forecast.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.