Cracks! What Should I do?

EJ797

Jan 26, 2013
Miami, FL
I recently purchased a home with a pool that has been around a while. Not sure how long but probably a few decades...

In any case, it is going to take a remodel. What should the remodel include. The first question is how to resolve these cracks:

Pool:
unemazyj.jpg

1st crack:
qy7e6eje.jpg

badabuge.jpg

I've had a pool guy out but I want to educate myself on what the best remedy would be. I've been told that since my pool is older it was built in a way that the deck slab rests on the pool. They said pools are no longer built this way. So the best fix would be to remove the deck from above the pool and essential increase the height of the pool wall to be level with the deck. Does that sound correct? Is there a name for this process I can google?

Also please keep in mind that I am familiar with building techniques and have built additions on my homes as a homeowner builder. So, please don't hold back on any advice.

I don't think they would actually raise the height of the pool. I think what they meant was to remove the deck and put a coping on the existing pool wall (which should be about the same height as the existing deck. And then put the rest of the deck around and at the same level as the coping. There would be an expansion joint between the coping and the deck to hopefully prevent cracking.

At least that is my thought ...

The key question is: Are the cracks still spreading apart, or is everything stable where it is? If everything is stable, you use the approach carolina pool recommended. However, if there is ongoing movement you need to do something much more extensive.

It seems to be one large crack as if the deck is sinking (settling) away from the pool if that makes any sense. The crack goes from the edge of the deck through the coping and down the tile to about where the deck would need the pool. It then moves horizontally along the length of the pool to the second corner where it turns up goes through the coping and to the end of the deck. Something like this:

6u7ygubu.jpg

It seems to me that the deck will continue to sink/settle so the cracks will continue to grow. As such, I'm not sure that routing the crack out and filling with hydraulic cement would be a long term fix...

Also, if I remove the coping and the deck and then replace the coping I would probably lose about 4" of depth. (Deck seems to be about 4" thick which is the normal practice here...) This would also take the new deck below the grade which would create problems for drainage.

Is there another way to address the issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the deck needs to be removed, you should be able to cut through the deck just outside of the bond beam (top edge of the pool wall), leaving the pool wall intact. Doing this might require a fairly large concrete saw, but should be straightforward enough.

From your description, I suspect that you are going to need to do something to secure that wall to the pool, so it won't continue shifting. Even without the deck pulling the wall away, you still have the water pushing the wall out. Now that it has started moving it is probably not strong enough to remain in place long term. The safest option is to find someone with extensive experience doing structural crack repair to come out, examine the pool, and tell you if you are going to need structural repairs or just cosmetic crack coverup.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.