Dual SWCG setup

We commonly use triclor feeders in conjunction with SWCG's. It makes start ups easier, helps balance out the ph and CYA, works in low temps and can be a backup if one of the systems fail. They compliment each other very well.

I like the idea of redundancy. I was hoping that it would extend the life of the cells by having less runtime which would also be beneficial. Does anyone know if this would require less cleaning? Does a SWCG cell accumulate calcium buildup only when it is generating chlorine? Less runtime would mean fewer cleanings.

The buildup that SWGs get is due mostly to the chemistry of the water. If your pH runs high then most likely your SWG will most likely buildup the deposits quicker. I keep my CSI slightly negative and I have only had to lightly scrape off a little bit of build up twice in 2.5 years.

Certainly possible to do. AutoPilot offers a pre plumbed dual cell manifold that would handle this without any modification. It uses CC-15 commercial cells so cell life would very good.

Only thing you need to watch is that you don't over chlorinate

How many gallons is the pool? What is your desired run time?

ComputerGuyInNOLA said:
I like the idea of redundancy. I was hoping that it would extend the life of the cells by having less runtime which would also be beneficial. Does anyone know if this would require less cleaning? Does a SWCG cell accumulate calcium buildup only when it is generating chlorine? Less runtime would mean fewer cleanings.

i think the only real benefit would be the ability to use one while other is broken.
the rest of benefits would be offset by the cost of second unit

you would have fewer cleaning, but then you will need to clean two cells instead of one
they will last longer, but again when time comes you will have to replace two instead of one

also instead of one unit that could break you now have two, both of which can break

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.