Is my pump enough?

ssgumby

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 17, 2012
Maryland
I have a Hayward Super Pump 1 HP 2-Speed to install.

With 1 skimmer and 3 returns, could I also have 2 deck jets and a small water fall run off this? The water fall would simply be a sheer wall of about 24" wide which ive read wont take much.

Should I add a second pump just for the water features?

Thanks

So this is not built yet correct?

With valves on the return, you could select either the 3 returns or the deck jets or the waterfall ... maybe a combination of them, but you may not be able to run them all at the same time with the single pump.

If you were to add a second pump for the water features, I think you would need to add an additional dedicated suction line for the water features ... you may have enough with just the skimmer and floor drains if they are run independently to the equipment pad (not tied together at the skimmer) and maybe up sized. But, I am not sure of the logistics of running 2 pumps off the same suction line.

Correct, this is not built yet.

Im trying to find some diagrams for laying out the plumbing. I was thinking along the same lines. Having a valve that when we are out by the pool I would switch off the returns and switch on the deck jets/waterfall. Since the deck jets and waterfall wont be running all the time it seems more practical to plumb it so they can be on independent of the return lines.

Im going to try to draw something up and post it for opinions.

I would suggest:
A 3-way valve on the suction side which combines the floor and the skimmer ... allows you to adjust the flow from each
then on the return side you have options:
Either just put in three 2-way valves (returns, waterfall, deck jet ... are these the spa jets or are they separate too?)
but, I think this would be better:
a 3-way that selects the returns or the water features and then another 3-way between the waterfall and the deck jets. That way you only have 1 valve to turn to turn off the returns and turn on the water features (which you will likely get that 3-way to a desired configuration and then rarely turn it). Or you could put the waterfall and deck jets with two 2-way valves.

Lots of options.

Ok, so here is what im thinking. And I changed my sig, I was incorrect in that I only have 2 returns not 3, plus the step jets. I assume I can tie the step jets right into the main return line so ive left that out of this drawing.

I apologize for my horrendous art work :)

So the black lines are the suction side, put a 3-way in there to be able to split off either the skimmer, MD or run them both.

The red is the return lines. The way I have it here, one 3-way will send the return to the returns, the water features, or both. When on the water feature side, another 3 way allows it to run the deck jets, water fall or both.

This seems like it gives me a lot of control.

Thoughts?

poolplumbing.jpg

I can not see Dropbox files here, but what you described was how I was thinking as well.

Are the step jets supposed to be like spa jets for your back or just to keep the steps clean? If they are for your back, May want to consider having a 3-way between them and the other returns so that you could make the jets stronger by closing the normal returns. Also, we have some at a seat area and they are too low to really be effective for anything except your lower back, wish they were higher. Ours also have a pipe open to air in the jet returns to suck in air and make them more like spa jets ... not exactly sure how that get plumbed in though.

That looks OK to me! You probably will want to run separate lines for each jet and put little valves on them, otherwise they probably won't shoot the same height/distance. With the little cheap plastic valves you can tweak the flow to each one, and once you get it set you shouldn't have to change it.

Melt In The Sun said:
That looks OK to me! You probably will want to run separate lines for each jet and put little valves on them, otherwise they probably won't shoot the same height/distance. With the little cheap plastic valves you can tweak the flow to each one, and once you get it set you shouldn't have to change it.

As far as the deck jets, you mean keep it plumbed the way I have it, but on each of the deck jet lines put in adjustable valves to regulate?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.