water sensor open circuit

Jan 31, 2013
Has anyone ever seen the error "water sensor open circuit"? I have a Hayward AquaLogic system. I have seen postings of a no flow error and they replace the flow switch. Is this a similar error? I called Leslies pools and they said I had two of the sensors so I would need to find out which one. I looked all around my pool equipment and could only find one.

Any help would be appreceiated.

Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

That almost sounds more like the water temperature sensor ... but just guessing. It is likely a hose clamp holding a black sensor through a hole in the PVC near the pump. Check that wire and see if it is cut anywhere.

EDIT: Oh, if you have solar, then that might be the 2nd sensor they are talking about, although it is not usually sensing the water temperature, but is sitting next to the solar panels. A 3rd sensor just is used to get the air temperature in the shade near the equipment.

Thanks for the welcome, I can see a wealth of information, and I am a pool newbie so I need all the help I can get.

I do not have solar that I know if, but I do have two of what looks like temprature sensors one is mounted in a pvc pipe the other just hangs down by the control panel. I traced the pvc wire and I did find a rip in the wire.

Can I just splice the wire together or is a new one in order?

thanks again!

A solid soldered water tight splice will work just fine, but requires some knowledge to achieve. A simple twist the ends together splice will work for a while and then become intermittent at some point in the future.

I also had this error code. I searched the thermostat wire and found an are of corrosion. After cutting out that area and splicing, the aqualogic system began working again. The above postings were very helpful to me and saved me hundrededs of dollars.
Welcome to TFP!

Glad this helped you. Note the last line in my signature ;) and stick around, lots to learn :D

I've got the same water sensor error. first noticed a problem a week or so ago when the air and the water temps appeared to be flipped around on my aqua pod controller; now, the controlled says "wtr sensor open". I've traced the line leading from the sensor (located between my filter and the heater) and could not find any corroded areas or anything that was obviously damaged. I looked online for a replacement sensor and wire and found several sites. My question concerns installation of a replacement. The replacement parts I saw all had stripped wires at the end that would control to the control box, rather than any kind of plug in connector. Since the wire goes in on the underside of my box, which is essentially at ground level, I'm not sure how that would work. How is the connection made into the control box? I'd try to look myself with a mirror or disconnected the existing wire myself, but I've got a hip problem that is going to prevent me from getting down that low for awhile.

I'm using a Hayward system.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.