Using Different Brands Of Equipment

Jan 30, 2013
Hello, I'm new to this message board, so if I've posted to the wrong place, please let me know. We are replacing all of our equipment because of a remodel requiring that we move the pool equipment to a new location makes the timing right. We are also upgrading to include a controller so we can turn the equipment off/on from our master bedroom rather then trecking all around the house to turn the valves and turn off the pool heater. I have had very bad luck in the past with pool heaters going bad either before the warranty period is up or shortly thereafter. So this go around, I've asked my pool servicer to obtain the equipment for me and I'm putting him on the hook for maintenance, repair and any issues. I belive he has steared me in the right direction on the products to buy. The equipment purchaed, on site, and the electrician just called me and said because we purchaed a Raypak heater with Pentair controller, Pentair pump and Waterway Cartridge filter that we will have lots of problems and the remote will not work as we expect because we are mixing brands. He wants us to return the heater and replace it with Pentair. We are not buying from him, so he doesn't get any profit from saying this -- but neither does our pool servicer. Wondering whether anyone her has experience with this and can provide me with advice.
Thanks!

The only thing you even need to be remotely concerned about is the controller and the pump and then only if it's a variable speed pump. The filter isn't electronic so it's not even a thought. The heater only uses a relay to tell it when to fire so it doesn't matter. If the pump is a single or 2-speed it just uses relays and mismatching brands there won't matter. The control system will run different brands of variable speed pumps it just won't finely control the speeds like it will the Pentair Intelliflo.

having said all that, don't worry about it as long as the same guy is selling and servicing it all.

Thanks Christian,
thanks for your reply. I've experienced so much trouble with warranties that I've given up and basically believe warranties are useless and used by companies only as a marketing tool. There is always something in the fine-print or bad customer service departments or just plain old bad products. Sad, I know. My new motto is that if I have to use a warranty, I don't want the product--too much frustration. I've bought products that had a 'lifetime warranty' and when I tried to envoke the warranty turned out the warranty was for the lifetime of the product--product dead, so no warranty. Instead, I want a product that works! My pool servicer said that Raypack is the best heater on the market with the least service issues, and when there are issues, it is the cheapest to fix.

Yeah warranties can be a pain in the butt. Pentair is pretty awesome about honoring them in my experience but I totally hear you. Your pool guy is right, Raypak heaters are the best thing going in my opinion though I will say Pentair are my second choice. Being that the warranty isn't a concern for you you can't go wrong with a Raypak heater and a Pentair pump!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.