Replace concrete deck quote

Apr 23, 2012
Hey everyone!

I requested a local concrete company to come out to my place and give me an estimate for repairing some concrete around my 18x36 inground pool. In a nutshell, I have a depression on one side of the pool where the ground has settled about 3 inches away from the concrete for a span of about 5 feet.

In the end, he was hesitant to make repairs to the affected slab. Instead, his diagnosis was to replace the entire deck (approx. 170 sf) because of various cracks that he noticed...at a price of $8500... does this seem reasonable? I certainly don't mind replacing the deck, but that price seems a little high. I'm just looking for a sanity check...

[attachment=0:1bigjn88]WP_000027_comp.jpg[/attachment:1bigjn88]

Attachments

• WP_000027_comp.jpg
    WP_000027_comp.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 405
Cracks in concrete are very common and usually not a reason to replace it. Unless there's heaving or other serious underlying problem I wouldn't replace the entire deck. That pic doesn't show what the problem is or if there are any other issues so I can't say if it may need replacing.

Here are a couple of pics... this first one is why I called the concrete guy in the first place
[attachment=1:29edfceg]IMG_20130129_165919_030_comp.jpg[/attachment:29edfceg]

This second one is an example of the ground settling on the other side of the pool...you can see a crack in the middle left side of the pic...

[attachment=0:29edfceg]IMG_20130129_165953_805.jpg[/attachment:29edfceg]

Attachments

• IMG_20130129_165919_030_comp.jpg
    IMG_20130129_165919_030_comp.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_20130129_165953_805.jpg
    IMG_20130129_165953_805.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 385
Is there going to be real gold inlay? That is outrageously expensive for concrete. It would be closer to $10 a square foot (even with tear out) here.

Like 4knights said, a mud jacking (or concrete raising) company can fix that buy pumping a concrete type mic under that deck.

There is a lot more than 170 sq ft in the picture. I see about 600 . $8500 is not an unreasonable price.

Mud jacking/pressure grouting would not work in this situation and in general should not be used on a vinly pool.

Carolina I agree. There is an awful lot of painstaking hand work to remove and replace a deck. Power breaking concrete in that situation can become very expensive to repair. Mudjacking would be my absolute last resort.

Mr Carolina Pool.... when I read your post, it made me realize that the quote most likely includes removing the old deck, so you are right that it is pretty reasonable.

Curious though... why would mud jacking be a bad idea? Im always looking for an opportunity to learn!

Also, I have a co-worker looking to install a gunite pool in the lake norman area. I will pass along your website to him!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mudjacking/pressure grouting relies on pressure to lift the slab. In this case you would have to build a substantial form on the perimeter of the patio to contain the grout to make it work. You also risk causing a deflection in the pool wall from the pressure. A high % of liner pools have voids near the pool walls where the backfill has settled.

All, thank you for your insight. It certainly made sense that it would be an expensive job, but I didn't have $9K expensive in mind ;). I guess the next question is whether or not these issues are in an emergency state or if I can wait a year or two.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.