looking for a timer

midtngal

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 26, 2007
Nashville, TN
I would like to have my pump and cleaner on a timer so that I don't have to run the pump all the time nor turn the cleaner on and off. The cleaner is a pressure side, Letro Platinum. I've been looking at these - http://www.pool-spa-products.com/cgi-bi ... 1208158191. Will these do what I am wanting them to do?? Which one would I need to get in order to control both? I also want the freeze protection because at this point anyway, I will not be closing my pool over this next winter.

Thanks bunches!

Well, I have finally gotten around to ordering this timer! I ended up getting the digital one with the freeze sensor. In talking with the guy, he says that this timer will fit into my existing breaker panel. Has everyone found this to be true?? Also, should this be something an electrician should do?? I can read instructions and I do install my own lighting and ceiling fans. Is it something more complicated than that?? TIA for any and all advice! :-D

I too am looking for a timer with freeze protection. We just have the single speed pump currently, no water features, could possibly consider a heat pump but that is a few uears away. Going to install solar.
Lights will be on another line, so I guess we are just looking at a single circuit. Our current set up is shown below. Primitive, I know, but we already owned the timer so it was the easy answer at the time.
Question: is there some type of thermostat that we can get to work into the current set up, or would we have to get the full intermatic PF1103T? Just trying to save a few bucks.

Attachments

• timer set up.jpg
    timer set up.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 344
  • timer specs.jpg
    timer specs.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 343
amjohn, below is the sensor I ordered to go with my timer. I don't know if it will work with yours or not. You might try calling the pool and spa products folks and asking them. The guy I talked with was very helpful and friendly!

sensor.jpg

You can get a freeze protection thermostat, for example the Intermatic PF1103, but it would require a separate case and costs nearly as much as the PF1103T which has freeze protection and a timer all in one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jason...was I told wrong?? The timer I bought has freeze protection built in, but I still needed the sensor for that to work according to this guy. Is that not your understanding??

amjohn, if you are going to get another timer, I would go ahead and get this digital one. It's a little cheaper actually and from what this guy says, the 1102 and 1202 have to have software upgrades since they are older. It can't hurt to be ready for any new additions you may want to make in the future! :wink:

Now, I'm just passing along what I was told. If any of this is not correct, I'd love to know that!

Karen

Sorry, I am mixing up answers to midtngal and amjohn. My previous post was in response to amjohn. amjohn's timer does not have a freeze sensor option.

midtngal, you didn't say which model you are getting, but it is completely possible that it is the kind that works with an external sensor such as the one you posted a picture of.

It's this one Jason - http://www.pool-spa-products.com/cgi-bi ... 1211123966. When I checked it out on Intermatic's web site, it states that it has freeze protection. But, it's a little misleading in my opinion that it doesn't tell you that you have to have the sensor for it to work! :roll:

BTW, amjohn...this sensor runs around $40 I was told. I'll know for sure when I get it and will let you know.

H3: yes I know, scary. It's what's known as a "red-neck" timer- so that tells you something about my husband. We are definitely replacing it with something like the PF1103T as soon as we can get one. This one is about 15 years old, but it was what we had on hand for a short term solution.
Unfortunately, as nice as the programmable one is, we are on rural electric, which cuts in and out, up and down. So every programmable device in the house has to have a surge protector AND a power conditioner on it to survive- we found that out the hard way with a computer- twice.
We have to use mechanical switches on everything, so that is why I am looking at the mechanical models. We don't have a spa, water features, heater, or anything like that. May possibly go with a heat pump some day, but that is probably several years down the line. Starting with solar first- no power requirements there. Lights and speakers will be on the other side of the pool from the pump on a separate circuit and will only be on when we are in the pool.
Is there anything else that I should be considering as a possible need for timer?

Well, I have received the timer. It does come with it's own panel box and the sensor looks like it was around $50. In looking through the instructions and the equipment, I believe I have come to the conclusion that this is a project that cash was made for!! :mrgreen: :lol:

I have put a call in to my trusty electrician! :wink:

Karen

Waiting for mine- I went with the PF1103T- I called and they said that it came in a case and that it did not require a separate sensor like the electronic versions.
Glad you got yours midtngal, as they are not very good at answering e-mail, and I am still waiting for some confirmation that mine has shipped.

Oh good...glad to hear you are replacing yours! No, they don't answer email it doesn't appear. I gave my order over the phone and never got any type of confirmation, but I received it 6 days later (to give you an idea).

Thanks- mine came today. The surprise bonus- not only is the cover there and the temp probe built in (though we will have to extend it out in a tube installation), but the timer can turn off and on up to 8 different times a day- seriously doubt we would use that, but it was surprising. My husband still needs to look at the wiring, but it looks pretty straight forward.

Re: looking for help on wiring my timer

I have an electrician here wiring in the timer from above posts and he is a little perplexed. He's confused as to why there is only one line and one load connect per circuit. He says there should be 2 unless he is supposed to "break one of the legs".... Does anyone know the answer to this or is there a trick to having this installed??

Thanks much!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.