Drained half my pool accidentally - OMG liner has pushed up

May 1, 2011
Well, if that dont get some laughs, what can? :hammer: Yep, I am that guy.

I have a mesh cover, use a auto pump on the step. So, I noticed my liner was sagging in the water a couple of weeks ago. Checked pump, it died. So, I had 3 water hoses in there siphoning out the water because we had a 3" rainstorm coming the next day. It hasnt rained since, got my new pump today. Pulled the cover back to put it in, there was no water on any step. I didnt know what the *&$#$ happened. Finally realized I forgot to pull one of the siphon hoses out of the deep end. Yep, nice huh. Water is about 6" deep in the shallow end right now. Thank goodness the siphon hose wasnt sitting on the bottom of the deep end.

Anyway, when yall get done laughing, any danger here? Let it rain and fill it in, fill it back up with hose? Can this cause any issues? I know I will have to get chems right when I open, just want to make sure I am not hurting anything before I fill it backup.

In ground 20x40 vinyl

Thanks

Re: Drained half my pool accidentally

I would make sure you have a least a foot of water in the shallow end to prevent the liner from floating up. Beyond that you should be fine, unless your ground water level is above the pool water level.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Ok, I will fill it up a decent amount tomorrow. I pulled the cover back and everything looked ok with the flashlight. Not sure about ground water level and all that right now. Thanks

Also, if your pool is the older type of vinyl lined pool, it used to be customary to back fill as the pool filled with water. If this was the case with your pool, there could be an issue of the walls pushing in without water pressure on them (I have not seen this before...but I have heard of it happening). So to be on the safe side I would make sure the water is at least 1/2 way up the pool wall.

My liner has pushed up...please help

OMG guys...now I am screwed. I ran water in it for several hours last night. Apparetnly it wasnt enough. We got hammered with 4 inches of rain last night, my shallow end is completely pushed up and liner and crooked. This pool is not even 2 years old. What the heck do I do now? Should I assume it ruined the vermiculite and have to remove liner and start over? I have the steel walls and they were in a footing and all, but can anything else start going bad wrong here before this gets fixed? I am just sick to my stomach...HUGE investment is getting ruined

This is a new topic, after posting this the other day..My pool was very low and it stormed before I got it filled back up.

drained-half-my-pool-accidentally-t55443.html

Topics merged. JasonLion

Re: Drained half my pool accidentally - OMG liner has pushed

Bummer :cry:

All the rain must have raised the ground water level to make the liner float. I am not sure what the path forward is, so will have to defer to other's expertise.

Called my pool installer. He the best around. He said fill it and i have a 70% chance it will fall in place. If not it may wrinkle and he will fix in spring. Im worried about tearing it while trying to force groundwater out but he said thats a slim chance. I am filling now and just going to push liner around best i can as it fills to get it close. I dont see any way around wrinkles but if thats the worse that happens i will be happy

Ok don't panic.....sometimes there is a relief drain installed where pools are built where there might be a water table issue. If you do have one of there under drains...there should be a spot to access it somewhere...most of the time on the pool deck next to the pool. If you don't have one of these...I would wait until the ground dries out a bit...then use a pump to suck water out from behind and out from under the liner. Your vermiculite is probably fine.....You might want to call a professional though to get the water out from behind the liner and make sure it is re-set correctly.

Yes...it might also fall back into place when the water recedes.

No relief drain for mine. We actually did the subcontract install route. Family owns a pool kit place so I was involved all along the way.

I added 2-3 inches of water last night, shut it off before going to bed. Liner still floating about the same. the entire shallow end floor appears to be elevated. No rain for the next few days so hopefully it will slowly drain under there and I can work the liner around. It was not fun dealing with that last night in 31 degrees and darkness. Oh, and the wind blowing 30+ and flapping the opened cover all over the place.

Here is what it looked like yesterday when I got home...Not a pretty sight. Its all water under there, not air

2013-01-31_16-55-19_360_zpse6cdffcd.jpg

2013-01-31_16-54-55_249_zps295a9509.jpg

Pool installer said keep filling. Once it gets full enough it will push the ground water out. It was making me nervous because when I went to bed last night all the water had piled up in the one corner and was climbing the wall. I pulled a little liner out and it was solid water behind it about 6" down. Crazy. I shut the water off and went to bed. Woke up this morning to this. There is a spot on each side where the liner twisted a little, not sure how easy that is to fix, but appears there are no wrinkles in the floor. It just finally pushed all the groundwater out and settled almost right back in place. And yea, it snowed while I was working on this last night which made it more fun. It was 19 degrees this morning. It does get cold here in the south to.

2013-02-01_06-50-05_866_zps121b8502.jpg

2013-02-01_06-50-19_297_zpsaf885943.jpg

2013-02-01_06-50-24_71_zpsc7b62657.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

linen said:
Looks like you dodged a bullet :party: Congrats :cheers:

ctfortner said:
It was 19 degrees this morning. It does get cold here in the south to.
Where is south? -16F here in mn this morning :|

Memphis TN. Wife is from Brainerd MN, yall are crazy living up there in that climate :p I been there in the summer in August and tried to swim in the lake. It felt about like my pool does right now. It was a brief swim. Her family still there and brother in WI, until they came here in the winter time they didn't think it got cold here. It DOES

linen said:
Looks like you dodged a bullet :party: Congrats :cheers:

ctfortner said:
It was 19 degrees this morning. It does get cold here in the south to.
Where is south? -16F here in mn this morning :|

Low today was 18F here in Charlotte NC area.

Tucson, AZ dropped down to 17F a few weeks back ... coldest I ever remember ... you would think we were far enough South to avoid that ;)

Ctfortner who did your pool? Looks familiar. Some of the Memphis crews end up here in Batesville...

Just wondering.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.