Dirt in pool from water jets

Jan 28, 2013
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, and I am absolutely not even close to being remotely expert in pool-related things, so be gentle with me! :goodjob:

We moved into this house in SoCal about a year ago, and it came with a pool and hot-tub, which is great. It's about 12,000 gallons. Last year everything ran fine. Then I made a huge error by laying sod close to the long edge of the pool. This then saw me have an infestation of springtail bugs, so a few months later I ripped up the sod (grrrr!) and while that area was just dirt for a few days as we waited for the new surface to arrive, we had tremendously windy weather (typical). I woke up one morning to the bottom of the pool being basically covered in dirt. I hooked up the vacuum (the one that goes into the main filter) and cleaned the whole thing. Obviously, the filter was now clogged with dirt, so I had to clean it. From that moment on, I seem to be getting fine dirt particles in the pool after the filter has been running. I've made sure it is when the pump is on by vacuuming it thoroughly (using a stand-alone vacuum with its own bag, not one connected to my filter) and the pool does not get dirty when the pump isn't on.

Once the pump runs, dirt gradually begins to build up on the bottom of the pool, and the location of the dirt and where it ends up settling is consistent with the angles from the jets. Obviously, the longer the pump runs, the more dirt accumulates and, after roughly the three-hour mark, the pool could be considered un-swimmable and needs a vacuum. I no longer use the vacuum connected to the filter and always use the stand-alone vacuum.

Obviously, my immediate and terrifying thought is that one of the lines under our back yard has a hole in it, and that's where the dirt is coming from. There are no obvious air-bubbles coming from the jets going into the pool, I don't seem to be losing water (I have yet to do the bucket test, but on cold days, I lose virtually no water), and you can't really see the dirt being pumped out, it just builds up over time. I cleaned out the main filter at the weekend (which had a considerable amount of dirt clogging up the filter 'bags' for want of a better word. I removed each filter 'bag' (a photo is coming to explain what I mean) and rinsed it off, and I also examined each one closely to see if perhaps dirt was being recycled from the bottom of the main filter via a hole in a filter 'bag' - I found that two of them have frayed material on one of the corners; only small, but I'm wondering whether because of the pressure being pumped through, this is enough to allow dirt particles to escape?

Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to replace the damaged filter bags and see if that fixes it. If not, the only other conclusion I can come to is that one of the lines is damaged, which makes me go pale at the thought of the cost and disruption involved to get that fixed... or are there cleverer ways of finding and fixing underground leaks these days than ripping up a concrete back yard?

Cheers,
Matt.

[attachment=2:1lx6l5a7]photo 2.JPG[/attachment:1lx6l5a7]

[attachment=1:1lx6l5a7]photo 5.JPG[/attachment:1lx6l5a7]

[attachment=0:1lx6l5a7]photo 4.JPG[/attachment:1lx6l5a7]

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    454 KB · Views: 152
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    415.3 KB · Views: 148
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    347.9 KB · Views: 148
Welcome to TFP!

That is a DE filter. And as long as the sewing is fine, then the fraying does not matter.

You are adding more DE every time you backwash or clean the filter right?

You should never run that filter without DE in it as it will clog very quickly.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

jblizzle said:
Welcome to TFP!

That is a DE filter. And as long as the sewing is fine, then the fraying does not matter.

You are adding more DE every time you backwash or clean the filter right?

You should never run that filter without DE in it as it will clog very quickly.

Hi! Thanks for your reply.

The sewing seems fine on all eight filters.

And now for my stupid question... what's DE?

DE stands for diatomaceous earth. Its a powder that you add to coat the grids in your filter. Those are the grids in your pic's. You have to put the right amount in pounds in the skimmer with pump running. I don't know how big your filter is so I can't tell you how much to add. Best to use a de scoop to add. One level scoop is one pound. When you backwash filter you loose most of it. When you refill your filter with DE use 20% less than what your filter calls for. If you do a complete cleaning of filter use the whole amount. Check out pool school, filter comparison.

Hope this helps.

Somebody else will probably chime in to help out.

There is a discussion here about the actual weight of the DE scoops ... greatly depends on how settled you get the powder. Could be anywhere between 0.7 lbs and 1 lb. Best to weigh it yourself.

If you give the filter info we can help figure out hire much DE to add.

Thank you all for your responses. I will figure out the size of the filter at the weekend and let you know. Where would I go about purchasing DE? Home Depot? Lowes? Or do I need to go to a proper pool supply store?

And I guess my other question is this: could the lack of DE be the reason I'm having the dirt enter the pool from the jets?

(As I'm about to press 'submit', I'm sitting here thinking "please say yes, please say yes"!!!)

Aha. Wikipedia has given me this description of DE, as it relates to filtration:

"Diatomaceous earth may be used as a filter medium, especially for swimming pools. It has a high porosity, because it is composed of microscopically small, coffin-like, hollow particles. Diatomaceous earth (sometimes referred to by trademarked brand names such as Celite) is used in chemistry as a filtration aid, to filter very fine particles that would otherwise pass through or clog filter paper."

Fascinating. It never ceases to amaze me how much there is to learn about something as seemingly simple as a pool of water!

Do not buy the food grade DE. Get the stuff for pools from any hardware or pool store.

Usually running without the DE ends up clogging up the grids more quickly which then requires a tear down and good cleaning. There is a chance if the dirt is small enough, it could pass through the grids. Make sure they are seated properly and that all the o rings (not sure if yours has them) are in good shape. The only other way for dirt to get back to the pool is if the gasket in the backwash valve is leaking.

Yes...you must used DE in your filter or it will cause damage....it is not meant to be run without it. And yes...your filter will not filter properly without it (hence the dirt coming back into the pool). Make sure you add the right mount and in the correct manner or you will end up with DE in the pool and/or end up with the DE not coating your filter grids properly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PJ said:
Yes...you must used DE in your filter or it will cause damage....it is not meant to be run without it. And yes...your filter will not filter properly without it (hence the dirt coming back into the pool). Make sure you add the right mount and in the correct manner or you will end up with DE in the pool and/or end up with the DE not coating your filter grids properly.

Got it! Thank you all so much for your help! I will add the DE this weekend and see what happens.

I'm out of town Weds-Friday, do you think it would be best to not run the filter for a few days until I have added the DE? It's not particularly warm at the moment here.

Yes that will work just fine. You should be able to bypass the filter by setting the multiport valve to re-circulate while you are gone, if you can't add DE yet. (make sure you turn the power off to your pump before changing over to any setting on the valve, then turn it back on after you have it set).

PJ said:
Yes that will work just fine. You should be able to bypass the filter by setting the multiport valve to re-circulate while you are gone, if you can't add DE yet. (make sure you turn the power off to your pump before changing over to any setting on the valve, then turn it back on after you have it set).

Okay, will do. Thank you once again! :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you: jblizzle, pwrstrk, and PJ. I cannot thank you all enough for helping me out.

I added the amount of DE listed on my filter tank yesterday (the sticker is actually on the back side of the tank, so it was hard to see or read, hence me not noticing it before!), and today there is virtually no dirt in my pool after the pump has been running. There was a tiny, tiny amount of dirt in one corner of the pool after several hours of the pump running, but I'm guessing that is due to some residual stuff left over in the pipes somewhere? I'll see how it goes over the next few days and may have to add a tiny bit more DE, but the difference is like night and day! I am so relieved!

So, once again, thank you all so much. I'd convinced myself that I must have a leak in a pipe somewhere, so it's lovely to be wrong sometimes. :)

Cheers,
Matt.

PS. Oh, Once my DE had arrived, I was digging around in the garage and what did I find? A box of DE. Oh, how I laughed. ;-)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.