Pump Questions

Hamlet

Aug 17, 2008
I have an inground gunite pool approx 30x16 and avg 4.5 feet deep. I have a large 6 jet spa attached w/heater of course. I also have 2 water features and a very large 4 cartridge filter (Hayward SwimClear 5025). 2 in pipe in/out of pump and 4 drains/2 skimmers in the pool.

I have 2 questions:
I have a 3 HP pump (Jandy Stealth JHP 3.0) that is leaking between the body and motor. I am sure this is a gasket but the pump is almost 7 years old. Is it worth fixing? I don't mind fixing but by the time I have someone replace the seals I am looking at $100-$150 that may be better spent towards a new pump??

If I replace, is 3hp overkill or should I go with a smaller or two speed or variable speed? Recommendations?

Thanks!
Jim

What's your location Jim?

If your electric rates are high it may be better to invest in a variable speed pump. If they're not it may be better to either repair the pump you have or go with a 2-speed model.

Without knowing more about the spa and water features it's hard to say whether you "need" a 3 hp pump or not.

If it was me, I would replace the seals. It is pretty easy to do yourself and only costs a few bucks.

However, because you have a spa, I would not suggest downsizing unless the jets are too strong. 3 HP is pretty big and way to big for 2" plumbing but they may have sized it to get good jet action and to overcome the small pipe.

If the pipes are properly sized, which I don't think yours are, you can use as small as a 1 HP to run 6 jets but it depends on size of the jet nozzle (3/8", 7/16").

An alternative is to replace the motor with a 2 speed so in pool mode you can run mainly on low speed.

I am in the Charlotte area....Duke Energy. I do not know the rate but maybe I could find out.

The water features are two deck jets that shoot into the pool and a statue that water flows through to the pool.

The spa has 6 jets that are very strong...I think too strong...my wife can tolerate them.

I have always felt that maybe 3 hp was too much but I do not know. There is only the one 3 hp pump powering everything.

Thank you all!
Jim

Can you describe the spa plumbing? Number, length and diameter of pipe runs from the pump to the spa.

Also what is the filter pressure in spa mode?

[attachment=0:3lrhg3lh]Pool Plumbing 2.jpg[/attachment:3lrhg3lh][attachment=1:3lrhg3lh]Pool Plumbing .jpg[/attachment:3lrhg3lh]

Here are two attachments from construction. The run to the spa can be seen in the pics and is 2 in pipe. There are 2 drains in the spa and 6 jets. 4 drains, 2 returns, and 2 skimmers in the pool. The equipment is about 12 feet from the spa.

Thank You! Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Pool Plumbing .jpg
    Pool Plumbing .jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Pool Plumbing 2.jpg
    Pool Plumbing 2.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 140
First impression is that 3 HP is way too big for that plumbing. I can estimate the size of pump required given some more information but since it would be a good idea to downsize the pump anyway and if you can afford a VS pump, usually only $300 more than a two speed, that may be your best choice plus it eliminates the guess work and would allow you to fine tune the jet strength to your exact liking.

Thanks! Yes I can afford to buy a new pump. Maybe replace the gasket and keep the 3hp as a spare. It is nearly 7 years old anyway.

Your pump recommendation would be great and appreciated. I have always felt the pump was too big and the spa jets too strong.

Thank You!
Jim

From your response it sounds like you would rather go with a standard two speed pump vs variable speed or did I misunderstand?

In my last post, I actually recommended a variable speed pump which doesn't really require any sizing because they are variable. It would offer you the most flexibility and adjust-ability but it costs several hundred dollars more than a two speed. The Intelliflo 011018 VS is a good pump at a great price point and would probably be a very good fit for you. It has a built in controller and timers so you don't need an external controller. However, if you already have a controller (Jandy?), then we can make sure that you chose a VS that talks it's language. Jandy also has a few choices in VS pumps.

But if you would rather go the two speed route, then just let me know and we can work on sizing a pump for that.

No I am not opposed to a variable speed pump at all. I have a Hayward Pro Logic control system...will that work with the Intelliflo VS or would you recommend a different pump knowing that I have the Pro Logic system? I have the AquaPod remote and like the convenience of controlling from inside as the pump is far away from the house.

Thanks,
Jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Hayward EcoStar is a very good pump as well and it is even more efficient than the Intelliflo at lower speeds. It integrates well with the Pro Logic system so you will have full control. I think it may be more expensive though.

What is your Aqualogic main board software version level? I believe anything 2.66 and later will support the EcoStar. Otherwise a main board upgrade is required. If that is the case, then the Intelliflo might be a cheaper option but then you will only have control at the pump.

Am I doing this right? If I take the AquaPod remote and go to diagnostic I can scroll through and see a screen that says "Main Software Revision 2.86" Is that what you mean?

Thanks for the help!
Jim

Thanks Mark! I will look into the Echostar.

BTW, in your opinion, what hp should I have had installed. I always felt 3HP was too much and it appears you agree. I am just wondering what I need if a single speed.

Thanks!
Jim

Hi Mark,

Another question and update. I figured I would buy some time and had the gasket replaced in my 3 hp pump...thinking I would do that until I was forced to get a new pump. This is a 5.5 yr old Jandy Stealth JHP 3.0 Well days or maybe even hours (not sure) after the gasket was replaced, the pump stops. Now when turned on it makes a loud buzzing noise and the circuit breaker trips. Do you think this is the capacitor or the motor? Pool guy thinks the motor but I don't necessarily trust his opinion.

Pool repairman also says he could replace motor with a 2 hp motor (replace impeller also). Or I could replace the entire pump. I asked him about a VS pump but he said they dont last as long.

So 3 questions:
1) If I go single speed, what HP do you recommend?
2) You already recommended a VS pump so I assume you disagree with the pool guy on lifespan?
3) Is this by chance just the capacitor that I could replace cheap? I did this before but I do not remember the symptoms. I turn power on and get a loud buzzing noise and the breaker blows,

Thank you Mark!

Sounds like the start capacitor but frozen bearings can make that sound too. If the impeller spins freely, then it is probably the start capacitor.

1) Why a single speed? With a spa, a two speed would be much more economical. High for spa mode and low for pool mode. Given the pipe size, a 1.5 HP full rated (2 HP up rated) pump is probably as high as you should go. A Whisperflo WFDS-28 would work pretty well. If they had put in larger pipe, you might have gotten away with a smaller pump. I run my 6 jet spa on a 1 HP full rated pump but I also have 2.5" pipe.

2) Because they are more complex, there is more to go wrong but so far at least, they haven't shown to be more or less reliable. Lots of opinions though. Many if not all of the drive issues can usually be traced back to a lack of surge/lightning protection. That is a must for a VS.

3) Yes, they are usually less than $50.

Another option is to downsize the impeller, diffusor and replace the motor with a two speed sized for the new impeller. This would effectively give you a smaller two speed pump. The only thing you would be reusing is the pump housing. Sometimes this can be cheaper than a new pump but you would have to price it out. Plus you already have new seals which you could probably reuse.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.