Polyair pool cover disintegration

RYinSF

Jan 28, 2013
We bought our home in October of last year and became first time pool owners. I had the pool winterized in November (shut off the cell, cleaned filter, etc) by the pool service that had been maintaining the pool. I wasn't sure about the use of the pool cover (retain heat, keep pool clean, both?) and didn't put the cover on the pool until a couple of weeks ago. Didn't notice anything untoward when the cover went on. The other day I pulled the cover off to make sure all was well and noticed the pool had hundreds (thousands?) of tiny round pieces of pool cover floating around. The plastic "bubbles" had disintegrated into the pool - they look like blue soft contact lens'. I've been hand skimming what I can, but there is still a lot of plastic in my pool and I'm worried it will foul up the works. I checked the filter (read the pressure gauge) and it's running at the bottom of the scale. I'm hoping that means it is "clean". What should/can I do about this mess? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

After a couple of years most solar pool covers will start to delaminate. The tops of the bubbles seem to be the first to go. Try to skim as much as you can off with a net, they will clog your skimmer. I had a clear solar cover and didn’t realize may skimmer was loaded with them.

A solar cover isn't for winter use. That requires a different tpe of cover. One that is specifically designed to hold up to colder weather.

Once the water gets to cold to swim in, I remove the cover for the winter and start to think about putting it on in early March. Keep netting out what you can. If the cover is a special shape, keep it so you can trace it for your next cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.