First TF100 test..

Jun 12, 2012
Escondido, CA.
I got my new test kit Saturday and went out and performed the daily quick test.. and got unexpected results.

My pH was 8.2 and my chlorine didn't even register.. of course the surface temp of the water is 39deg and its been raining off and on here for a few weeks now.

See any problems?

I'll do a more in depth test later.. I'm still using a "Pool Guy".. so its on him to fix

Re: Should I be worried with PH levelsin cold water?

JasonLion said:
Most pools most of the time can be left alone over the winter, ie no PH adjustments. .......

However, it is important to be aware that the PH shifts up naturally as the water gets colder, so you do not want to adjust the PH nearly as low as you normally would. If the water is down around freezing you want the PH as much as 0.4 higher ........

Ha.. I tested (chlorine and pH quick test) my pool (for the first time myself) this weekend and found my pH to be up at 8.2... but its been raining AND the water temp is 39deg.. but subtracting out the.4 for cold water brings my pH right back within normal levels...

The PH tends to be higher when the water is cold, and that is usually fine. The one tricky aspect here is that the standard PH test will report any PH over 8.2 as 8.2. If your PH is 8.2, then fine, but if it is a lot higher that could be a problem. Unless you have fresh plaster in the last four or five months I wouldn't worry about the PH.

Chlorine at zero is normal when the pool is winterized/covered, but you don't want it to be zero if the pool is being kept open over the winter.

Re: Should I be worried with PH levelsin cold water?

BitViper said:
Ha.. I tested (chlorine and pH quick test) my pool (for the first time myself) this weekend and found my pH to be up at 8.2... but its been raining AND the water temp is 39deg.. but subtracting out the.4 for cold water brings my pH right back within normal levels...
Be aware that the ph tests reads everything above 8.2 as 8.2, so you could be higher. Probably not an issue, but just thought I would mention it to you.

EDIT: just saw JasonLion responded the same thing in your thread. It would be helpful if you keep you questions/comments relating to your post in your post :)

Topics merged. JasonLion

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.