Dog in pool ok?

Jan 18, 2013
My little white poodle mix played in the pool with us today. Is this considered o.k., or unsanitary? Will the chlorine harm her skin? She doesn't shed so we don't have to worry about her fur clogging pumps or filters....

It is fine. Might raise the FC consumption a bit.

Best if they do not drink the water though, especially if you add borates.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

The main problems we see with dogs in pools is lots of fur in the skimmer and still, that can be scooped out. Like jblizzle said, they should be discouraged from drinking the water if you add borates because supposedly, the borates have a degree of toxicity to worry about with dogs, but only if they actually drink the water and not just swim in it.

I would imagine so, if they were to try to climb out and scrape the same area.

I recall discussions on this previously, and seems like if you teach them where they can climb out on stairs, then you lessen the likelihood of them damaging the liner in other areas.

Animals won't normally cause any damage to vinyl, even with extended use. However, if the animal gets frantic and starts clawing vigorously, or decides it simply must dig a hole in the vinyl, it is possible for them to damage the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Blessedwithfivekids said:
By the way... Can all dogs swim? I have a kinda big mutt.

I would say not exactly. My dog is o.k. as long as she is moving and keeping her butt up. When her butt starts to fall, and her body gets verticle, she looses speed and then would probably drown if I didn't lift her up and get her horizontal again. I'm hoping she gets better with a little practice. If she put on some fat it would probably help a lot. Here is a video of her:
http://youtu.be/yrfXk4MYJZo

That's funny. She looks like she would most certainly drown if you didn't help her. I think my dog might have some lab in her and they swim well. We will have to try it out in the summer. We just got several more inches of snow today and the kids got sent home early from school. Oh how I wish it was summer!

To the OP:

We have a pure bred Standard Poodle, so full size, no mix.
True they don't technically "shed", since they have hair like humans do. All other breeds have "fur" like wild mammals. So it does shed as part of its natural growth process.

We love the fact that our dog, now our 2nd Std. poodle going on 20+ years now that we have owned Poodles, doesn't "shed". It's great!!
He's not show stock, just pet quality. Our previous one was show stock, a chocolate Poodle. He had much, much nicer hair, much thicker, more full and larger, hairier ear leathers.
But hey, our current boy is AWESOME, looks aren't everything. :)

I honestly can't stand dogs that shed, finding these tiny little wiry hairs embedded everywhere. Not to mention those hairs monkey with people's allergies, surprisingly not mine.
However, with that said, we do find little curly blonde hairs here and there in the house. You seriously have to hunt for them though. That's because, just like humans as we loose some hair from time to time, the Poodle does as well. But it's not much.

I have noticed when he's in the pool that I find a fair amount of his curly blonde hairs trapped in the cartridge filter. My nylon socks I keep over it traps them and prevents them from getting deeply embedded in the fold of the pleats where they're super hard to get out.

But it's seriously nothing compared to a typical dog with "fur". It's akin to the human hairs you also find in there, just there are a whole lot more because the dog has about as much hair as like 20+ humans or something. LOL

Surprisingly, he can't swim worth a darn. Seeing as their German bread water dogs for water sport hunting. It's quite surprising. I have a feeling it's because he went zipping out over the cover on my aunt's in-ground pool, not realizing what it was and fell into the icy cold water. DOH!
He's been a little timid ever since.
But we're working on him, which is hard in an inflatable ring pool though. Have to really watch the sides. :shock:

I've always let my dog into the pool and never had a problem ... or at least nothing I could see. I think he might have accidentally swallowed some water but it didn't seem to harm him ... After reading the posts, I think I'm going to start being more careful and not let him in the pool so often.

There is no serious danger from pets drinking pool water. Even if a pet drank 100% of their water intake from the pool they would still be below the threshold for detectable symptoms. However, they would not have the 100 times safety margin that is typically required for human safety.

For total pet safety, it is best to teach them not to prink pool water. However, a sip or two now and then really won't do anything.

The picture quality stinks but here is Molly, our #1 pool user. We have vinyl covered steps and she gets out of the pool effortlessly. (Yes, she is jumping from the edge in the pics.....she goes an easy 16-20' in the air)[attachment=3:37yaacyt]molly_pool_again 001.jpg[/attachment:37yaacyt][attachment=2:37yaacyt]molly_pool_again 002.jpg[/attachment:37yaacyt][attachment=1:37yaacyt]molly_pool_again 003.jpg[/attachment:37yaacyt][attachment=0:37yaacyt]molly_pool_again 005.jpg[/attachment:37yaacyt]

Attachments

• molly_pool_again 001.jpg
    molly_pool_again 001.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 228
  • molly_pool_again 002.jpg
    molly_pool_again 002.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 227
  • molly_pool_again 003.jpg
    molly_pool_again 003.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 227
  • molly_pool_again 005.jpg
    molly_pool_again 005.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 227
I tried to entice my dog into the water last summer because she'll sit next to the pool while we're in it and she looks so forlorn and its so hot. The few times we lifted her in and she hated it entirely. We wanted her to know where the stairs are so if ever she fell in she'd know where to get out. No way Jose!
I love this video-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St_4vYCPax4

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.