superflo pentair leaks at seal plate housing

bd1000

Jan 27, 2013
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this site. I have a 6 year old pentair 1.5 hp single speed superflo pump. Within its first year there was a leak where the seal plate attaches to the housing. They replaced it but for years I think there was a slight wet area there. Now I notice water at the buttom and my pool losing an inch or so every two days. I took it apart and noted the o ring where the seal plate attaches to the housing and it looks fine. There is not flatness or rotting or any thing. I put it back together after greasing the o ring and man the leak is worst than before. I note what i call a flaw in the design in that the o ring goes around the seal plate portion but when you look inside the volute housing its tapered and not flat to squish this O ring. I called the local pool shop and none in stock so I ordered one on line. I am worried that when i put this new o ring and it closes the same way its not compressed correctly and will leak again. Does anyone know about this pump and what I am talking about, advice, etc.

Did your o-ring leave black residue on your hands ? Did you ensure that when putting the pump back together, everything was flush, square, and even and when you tightened the bolts you did so in a manner in which no bolt was tightened more than the next? (much as you would when putting on a tire)....Also can you post a picture of the flaw? Are you sure the leak is coming from the seal plate...and not the drain plug...or shaft? (just trying to help you troubleshoot here)

thank you for responding. I did get the new set of o-rings and followed your advice, mainly the one about the tightening like a tire and got everything back together. Ran the pump and saw a flow of water under pump and was disappointed. Then I saw now the water was squirting from the drain plug. Retightened this plug and now I see no leaks at all. So originally I think it was coming from the drain plug, but by taking things apart I don't think i did the even tightening like a tire method that I used this time and caused my own problem. This time I did it the way you said and fixed that back to the original point and obviously in this process by taking the drain plug completely out to drain things I did not put it back well enough not to mention I thing those o rings are a little brittle. I now have ordered new plug o-rings for the drain plug and will replace them. In the future I will check this first and not create my own head ache. Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.