DE vs SandFilter with glass media?

Jan 16, 2013
Taxachusetts
We recently moved and had a 36K gallon pool with Hayward DE ProGrid 60 cu/ft at our previous home.

We are building a pool at our new house, 36k gallons as well.

The selected pool builder left the option open for filter selection.
Pentair 36" diameter sand filter with glass media, which he highly recommends..
Or a Pentair 60 cu/ft DE filter.

He is quite adamant that I would be happier with the sand filter, but I had 9 years of clear water from my DE filter on the last pool.

Am I stuck in old times preferring DE?
Are sand filters with Glass media really able to filter the same or better +/-5 Microns?

personally I'd stick with the DE or I'd go for a huge cartridge filter. Sand is a wonderful filter system but in order of filtering size it's DE, cartridge and then sand, from smallest to largest particle that can pass it. Even glass media doesn't change that.

I don't why he's trying to get you to switch from something you like. The 36 inch sand costs substantially more and has a higher flow rate so his opinion isn't profit based. We have never used the glass media but I would like to know why that would be any different than sand.

I agree with most everyone else, if you are happy with your current DE filter, stick with DE. The difference is far more of a personal preference than anything technical. It is much simpler and more predictable to stick with what you are familiar with. Now if you were dissatisfied with DE that would be a completely different story.

There have been several reports of better filtering with glass media, compared to sand, and also many reports of problems with glass media. Some of the suppliers have had problems getting the particle size correct, especially as it can change (ie break down) in shipping.

The theory I have heard is that glass has more sharp edges and also packs more tightly compared to sand, thus better filtering. Anecdotal evidence seems to support the better filtering, though apparently not quite as good as DE.

Isn't glass made from sand/silica? So you make silica into glass by melting it and reforming it with two smooth sides, then break it up into pieces. I guess I don't understand how that would create more surfaces nor do I understand why sharp edges would filter finer particles. Maybe thats too simplistic a way to look at it but it sounds suspect to me.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll stick with what pleased me for years. DE.

DE seems like it would be old tech these days, but dang it produces sparkling results.

Maybe I should take the sand filter, sell it...buy the DE and keep the change. ;-)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.