pool pump failed 3 months ago how to get pool back running?

Sep 26, 2012
st louis, MO
basiaclly i have an indoor pool the pump stopped working in OCT, I havn't done anything to the pool since

I finally getting around to opening the pool with a good pump and i'm trying to have it ready to swim buy the super bowl (feb 3rd)
8 days away

is this even possible?

I was thinking about using bleach and shocking it and turn on the pump to start heating and circulating and sweep it every day

thanks for any input you may have I'm desperate !!!

Re: pool pump failed 3 months ago how to get pool back runni

That is certainly possible, though it will require a fair bit of attention, plus a little luck.

The first step is to find out your PH and CYA levels. For best results PH should to be towards the low end of the normal range when shocking, and CYA determines how much chlorine you want to use.

JasonLion said:
That is certainly possible, though it will require a fair bit of attention, plus a little luck.

The first step is to find out your PH and CYA levels. For best results PH should to be towards the low end of the normal range when shocking, and CYA determines how much chlorine you want to use.
thanks I just tested with my tylor kit

PH 7.2 and CY <30 (i fill the tube all the way up water is clear)

the 7.2 is my well water so easy to balance for me LOL

PH is good, and that CYA level means your FC target for shocking is around 12 ppm.

Take a look at The Shock Process in Pool School for details on shocking the pool.

ok

I got the pump going and add added about 1 3/4 gallons of bleach (using the pool calc on this site) it hit the 12ppm to shock it

i can already see to the bottom of the shallow end

will i need to shock daily? or just test the FC daily and go from there?

hopefully the pool heats up fast, its only 54* right now, its very cold, would not want to swim right now lol.

turbo v6 camaro said:
will i need to shock daily? or just test the FC daily and go from there?

Something different... Read this pool-school/shocking_your_pool?

There are three criteria for when you stop shocking. All three have to be true. Also this us not a once and done process, depending what is growing in the pool. This could take several bleach top ups per day...or less.

Sent via Tapatalk...

so basically just need to test the CC and if above .5 shock, test the FC before bed and in the morning and shock if lost more then one 1FC

and shock as needed

I assume i should have the cover off for all this even though i need it hold in the heat?

You need to maintain the FC at shock level as often as required ... possibly hourly to start. Once the water is clear, verify that you have no CC and then perform the OCLT. This can take days to weeks.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

jblizzle said:
You need to maintain the FC at shock level as often as required ... possibly hourly to start. Once the water is clear, verify that you have no CC and then perform the OCLT. This can take days to weeks.

okay i get it now keep it at shock level....

ill run some tests after i have some coffee and the wife wakes up

dont say week i only have 8 days !!!

luckly i can see to the drain in the deep end this morning

okay i tested a 3rd time

FC = 6.5 CC = 8
ph 7.1

so i shocked again to FC 16

ill check the levels again soon

am i heading in the right direction?

i guess I'm looking for CC=0, then the FC will drop over time? the FC evaporates right?

edit my 2nd time didn't get posted it was FC=4 CC=8 i shocked to FC=10 on that one PH was 7.1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The CC level should come down slowly, which is a good indicator of your progress. For the moment, just focus on raising FC up to around 12-15 any time it is lower than 12, and track CC to see how you are doing. The more often you can test and adjust the FC level, up to hourly, the faster the whole process will go.

Some FC evaporates, but really very little. Any sunlight that gets in will also lower FC. In an indoor pool most of the FC goes to killing algae, breaking down organics, and breaking down CC.

If there is any solid debris on the bottom of the pool you should get it out with a leaf net. That seems unlikely in an indoor pool but worth double checking just to be sure.

JasonLion said:
The CC level should come down slowly, which is a good indicator of your progress. For the moment, just focus on raising FC up to around 12-15 any time it is lower than 12, and track CC to see how you are doing. The more often you can test and adjust the FC level, up to hourly, the faster the whole process will go.

Some FC evaporates, but really very little. Any sunlight that gets in will also lower FC. In an indoor pool most of the FC goes to killing algae, breaking down organics, and breaking down CC.

If there is any solid debris on the bottom of the pool you should get it out with a leaf net. That seems unlikely in an indoor pool but worth double checking just to be sure.

just retested FC 10 and cc 9

i added more bleach to bump it up again

hopefully morning will show some movement, the water is much clearer than it was when i woke up

turbo v6 camaro said:
JasonLion said:

hopefully morning will show some movement, the water is much clearer than it was when i woke up
To clarify, you are using the 10ml sample and the DPD POWDER once added you get a pink solution that you add r0871 to one drop at a time until it is colorless (20 drops this time) and then you add several drops of (is it 003?) After which the solution is pink again and you add r0871 again a drop at a time (18 drops). Right?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

UnderWaterVanya said:
turbo v6 camaro said:
JasonLion said:

To clarify, you are using the 10ml sample and the DPD POWDER once added you get a pink solution that you add r0871 to one drop at a time until it is colorless (20 drops this time) and then you add several drops of (is it 003?) After which the solution is pink again and you add r0871 again a drop at a time (18 drops). Right?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
100% correct

okay tested after work,

FC = 2.5
CC = 10

does not seem I'm making any progress

seems im going backwards, I flushed the filter and swept the bottom

added 2 gallons of bleach again to hit 12 ppm shock

will test in one hour

Thoughts?

People have used 50+ gallons and taken weeks to get through the process ... You have a bit to go still ;)

Trust that it will work and this is the cheapest way to clear it ... there are no magic potions ... just chlorine.

I'd say get more bleach and keep shocking. Its a process. You have to stay on top of it!! When fc drops below shock level bring it back up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.