Just closed on house - need pool refinsished ASAP - help!

I am a super newbie to the pool world, but have been reading here about caring for my new-to-me pool. I just need some advice to get it to the point that I can worry about the chemistry.

A bit of info, I just closed on a house with a roughly 25 year old Blue Haven pool in the back yard. The pool has one of their "unideck" systems (gunite was just sprayed as a continuation to a deck at the time was installed so there is no expansion jointing anywhere). There is no cracking in the pool, but a few expansion cracks on the deck. Tiles are in good shape. The pool was to have been re-plastered before the sale... unfortunately the seller decided it would be a great idea to paint the pool instead (no prep work and they even painted the plastic nozzles - how nice of them).

Before of the pool:

IMG_20120919_073734_zps4fc93363.jpg

now just imagine the whole thing (except the deck & tiles) with crappy blue paint on it.

Sooooo filled the pool with water to be sure the equipment was working prior to closing on the house and thankfully all that is good, but of course the paint is flecking off wholesale. I want to get this fixed pretty quickly. But am such a newbie that I want to be sure that I am doing the right thing. I have had a couple of pool companies out to get bids. Both have bid me stripping off all the mess and re-plastering. Both are strongly recommending white plaster and both have said that it will last longer and the water temp will stay lower in the pool - does that sound right? I really like the look of the pools with gray plaster, but it seems that there is a lot of complaints with mottling. Should I be looking at a surface other than plaster? What advantage would those surfaces have over plaster? I have to be honest that I have seen some white pools that look like they are filled with windex and it isn't my favorite look. Is that just what is to be expected with white plaster?

Both companies have told me that due to the deck being a uni-deck design, I am better off just putting a sealing stuff on the deck and leaving it alone - does that sound right?

And finally, as you can see in the picture there is a bunch of ugly rock and weeds between the pool and retaining wall. I am looking into options for that area - my dream would be beautiful St. Augustine sod, but I feel like taking care of the grass that close to the pool would end up being a pain. Thoughts? I am planning on using natural slate tiles on the patio - just carry that all the way out maybe? I am wondering how hot that will be to walk on come August.

Thanks for any words of wisdom that you might be willing to throw at me. I bought the house because of the pool and yard/trees - already I am questioning what I have gotten myself into!

Re: Just closed on house - need pool refinsished ASAP - help

Grey plaster would be my choice in this setting. Most people like the natural look of mottling and staining is not as unsightly. I don't think there is a significant rise in temperature on darker bottoms if any.

You could treat the area between the wall with a ground cover like dwarf mondo grass (a minature form of monkey grass or liriope) with large natural flagstones. A stone bench and some form of sculpture would add interest.

Location?

Windex blue must be another name for turquoise blue :mrgreen: :goodjob:
Personally, i don't like the mottled look so I went white plaster. Hard to believe someone would paint that pool :hammer:

Yard work that close to the pool could be problematic and increase maintenance.
I'd do hardscape, perhaps pavers and potted plants.

Thanks guys! Great ideas!

BigDave, I am in DFW Texas (woo hoo! moved home from the frozen north!!!). I am looking for some pics of it painted blue before it was filled. It is insane. Do you happen to have pics of your white pool filled? I don't mind turquoise, maybe it will have more color than I am remembering. I am also wondering if the white will look more dated? I mean, granted, it is a 25 year old pool and maybe white is "classic"!

I found a couple of pictures that I shot when I came by and realized that I had a big mess.

pool2_zps08e62eac.jpg

pool_zps5aa925db.jpg

On a side note, most of those flecks in the pool are butterflies. There must have been thousands of them in the pool and on the deck warming themselves. It was pretty cool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.