DIY in metal or have built in stone?

G

We are starting plans for a pool, landscaping and outdoor kitchen.

I am pretty handy and wondering if building my own with metal frames (not sure if we get the metal studs here in Toronto) or should I get the landscaper to build it with stone?

If you are fairly handy then doing an outdoor kitchen yourself shouldn't be a bid deal. I constructed mine with no prior experience. Guess it just depends on your budget and how much time you have. There is a wealth on info here and at BBQ Source Forums to assist you if you decide to DIY.

Riles

I would second what Riles said. I built mine by myself and got most of the how-to info from simply reading this forum and a little from BBQ Source Forums. I really didn't solicit much help online (I got some stucco suggestions from Riles) and got through it successfully even though there were a lot of "firsts" for me on that project - first time working with metal studs, first time installing tile, first time working with stucco and probably some others I am not recalling at the moment. I had never attempted anything remotely comparable to that project and although it took me quite a while to finish, the satisfaction level was very high when I could look at it and say "I built that!".

I will third what the others said, I'm planning my outdoor kitchen right now and there are literally thousands of designs out there. I didn't want to pay for a design plan, so I watched a few hours of YouTube videos on different designs with and without pergola overhead and the ideas I liked I jotted down on paper and copied the photos for reference.
Local big box store wanted a fortune for the metal studs so I stopped at a demolition job being done near the mall. They were throwing out a dumpster full of metal studs! I asked the foreman if I could do some dumpster diving and he said NO but he'd have his guys leave all the rest of the straight ones in a pile beside the dumpster. Now I have about 60- 8 ft long studs for when I'm ready to start the project and all I need to buy is the screws.
The hard part is figuring exact dimensions for your grill, sink, etc so when you get ready for the backer board it all fits.

Check with any of the local commercial builders or local inspection department. They should know where you could get them or at least the inspection department could tell you of any builders using them.

Not sure I understand your question. Are you talking about building the island itself out of mortared stone vs. studs/cement board? Most islands aren't build out of stone, like a castle, rather, they're a stone veneer applied over either stacked concrete block or a metal frame/cement board, same as tile or stucco. Building it out of concrete block is going to be cheaper, but it's not as versatile. If you like the stone look, I'd suggest a metal frame, cement board, lath, and then stone veneer.

Melt In The Sun said:
Not sure I understand your question. Are you talking about building the island itself out of mortared stone vs. studs/cement board? Most islands aren't build out of stone, like a castle, rather, they're a stone veneer applied over either stacked concrete block or a metal frame/cement board, same as tile or stucco. Building it out of concrete block is going to be cheaper, but it's not as versatile. If you like the stone look, I'd suggest a metal frame, cement board, lath, and then stone veneer.

Thanks for clarifying. That's what I meant.

Choosing between mortared stone vs. studs/cement board.

I am concerned more about the water and weather here in Toronto.

When you say using blocks is not as versatile, what do you mean? How so?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.