Wanting to have a pool built

txsteel

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 11, 2012
We are getting ready to look into getting a pooll built in McKinney Texas.
We are wanting a spa and pool ranging upto 6" so the kids (some adults) can do their cannan balls. We are looking at free form gunite with maybe a small water feature. I review several new builds here and on other sites as well as having contacted Hobert, southern winds and Foleys to talk about quates and their ideas.

I would apprciate any other PB recomendations and do's and don't to watch out for. Wanting to keep it at a reasonable price.

Thanks in advance.

If you can do a pool tour of the builders customers pools, it will give you a much better idea about size, features, material, etc along with general expectations you might have about the scope of the project. It will make it easier for you and the builder during the planning and building process. Its time very well spent.

Sorry I cannot recommend a builder but I can give you advice on the process.

All the builders I interviewed would build a pool that I would be happy with.
None of them cared to build the pool I wanted.

Take your time to be sure what items are "must haves" or just "nice to have". Have a good idea on "how" and "when" you'll use your pool. Many "extras" that come up after the contract is signed can be items that will break the budget.

Sometimes, with a little planning, you can add features later. Other times, the wrong choice will make the pool ownership experience unpleasurable. On the extreme, I've met a couple people that wish they never built their pool.

As an example, on my build, I never intended for automation. (Not one of the quotes had it). I find the pool maintenance relaxing so I figured I didn't need it or want it.

But after saving some money during the build and getting some deals on equipment, I have a fully automated pool. IT'S FANTASIC!. I don't worry about it when I'm not available. A push of a button can turn-on the heater, spa or water feature. Let's just say it saves my wife a lot of grief. She's not the type to go to the equipment pad to turn valves or sit through 20 minutes of water chemistry testing. Our choice of color changing LED lighting turned the backyard into a "cool" nighttime hangout. The modern multi-speed pump is incredibly quiet and efficient.

My point is: keep reading this website and make sure you know what you want before making the commitment. You'll be happier in the long run.

Checking references will no doubt be the best way to go. I would especially be interested in seeing the folks who had their pools built a year or more out because that will give you insight into the quality of support that those customers have gotten after the final check has been written.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.