Pentair heater or Raypak heater????

Jan 24, 2013
Hello!

I live in Las Vegas, NV, and my ancient 330K BTU Anthony natural gas pool heater has finally died.
It lasted for a long time I know!

Now I need a new pool heater.

After many hours of research, I've decided to buy either of the following two...

- Raypak 250K Digital Low NOx natural gas electric Cupro nickel heater

OR........

- Pentair MasterTemp 250K Heavy Duty Low NOx natural gas Cupro nickel heater

My main concerns are....

1) RELIABILITY
I live in Las Vegas (desert heat), and the strong sun beats right on my pool equipments.
My most concern of these two heaters is the digital control panel screen fading out due to the strong sun lights. I just want a heater that would be long lasting without needing repairs.
I bought my house in 2003, and the ancient Anthony pool heater didn't die until January of 2013!
I want a heater that's built to last.

2) QUIETNESS when it's running
I don't want a heater that's loud and annoying.

Thank you so much for reading and thank you in advance for any replies!

Raypak is virtually silent. The Master Temp is affectionately called the vacuum cleaner around the shop. I think the Raypak is also more reliable. I also think you would be happier with the 399K for quicker heatup time. Raypak claims the larger size is also more efficient (uses less fuel) because while it consumes more fuel while it runs, it runs a shorter period of time to heat the same amount of water.

Thank you Dave, and Pool Clown for your opinions.
Dave, I think I'm just gonna get a gas heater because I only heat up my spa once in a while and I just need a heater that can do the job for that occasions.

Pool Clown, while Raypak heater seems like it's built tough,
one of the factor that's keeping me from deciding to buy a Raypak is the warranty policy. I read the warranty online, and it said that the warranty is only good for 30 days from the date of installation. It's not warranted for one year unless the heater is installed to a newly built pool. Is that still in effect, or is it an old policy? I see that the warranty I read online was written in 2006. It also said that the warranty is valid only if it's installed by an qualified licensed technician. I'm planning to do get it done by my pool guy who has also installed my filter and a pump. I don't think he's licensed for installation jobs but he's totally able.

Also, what about the Las Vegas desert heat? It gets up to 110 degrees during the summer and it's sunny everyday in Las Vegas. Just worried that the computerized control board would break easily from the heat of the sun, especially the LCD screen.

What do you think?

Thank you again for your help, and I appreciate your time!

Form my experience only: Can't remember the last time i needed to open a warranty ticket on a Raypak heater.

Unfortunately, your going to get that kind of wording from any manufacturer re: the warranty.

The facts:
Raypak is 3 years if installed w/new pool. 1 year for replacing heaters. Licensed tech. means contractor license. So if your guy doesn't have a contractors lic. then 30 days. Even then, you may have trouble warranty-ing with non contractor install.
Pentair is 2 years, 3 years if you purchase Filter and filter pump at same time. Same wording goes here for contractors lic. Bla Bla Bla.

Heat pump may be an alternative but it will also have a fan running.

Raypak has a smoked lexan cover over the controls to repel UV rays, as does the Pentair.

Hope this helps.

Go Raypak and you will be happy. I've had several Pentair's where right out of the box where the blower motor was bad. Of course it was covered under warranty but to me and the customer, it doesn't say much for quality control when it's brand new and you have issues right out of the gate. So do yourself a huge favor and go Raypak.

Thank you both for your advice!

I think I'll buy a Raypak one. I was going to have my pool guy install it, but since it involves gas and electricity, maybe I should hire a licensed professional.

For installing a pool heater "professionally", what kind of licences are needed? What licences are needed for someone to be certified?

Thank you all again!

Raypak are the best thing going for heaters though Pentair would be my second choice. I would think long and hard before going from 333 to 250 as it will take a lot longer to do what you want it to do. Raypak's written warranty is less than ideal, though I've found as with most manufacturers they are flexible if you're willing to be patient and keep pushing.

Hello...
I now have some new questions about which Raypak heater to get.
Is a non-low NOx heater still allowed in Nevada?
I can't afford to buy the one that's both low NOx and Cupro nickel.
I have to choose one or the other. Which one should I get?
Is a Cupro nickel heater really worth the money?
Thank you again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cupro nickle is really only warranted in my opinion where the pool chemicals aren't cared for that well or on a pool that runs 24x7 like in a commercial setting. If you stay on top of the chemical levels and correctly balance your pool you can do just fine with the standard heat exchanger.

I have a Pentair heater and it has been nothing but trouble. It will not come on time after time and after servicing it will work for a while and then will not come on again. It is a piece of junk. We literally do the Victory Dance if we can get it to come on. Even on the best days, we have to go through 3 or 4 cycles of turning it on--and each cycle makes 3 attempts. Sometimes it eventually comes on, sometimes not until we try again the next day. This is all after backwashing, having great pressure in the system, etc. I would never buy another Pentair Pool or Spa heater!!!!!

In Vegas heat and UV, please build at least a roof of some sort over the equipment, preferably a shed - make it about twice as large as you think it could possibly need to be, and install a couple of windows. The room will be needed when it comes time to swap out equipment or access the plumbing.
The shade will protect those silly LCD displays.
A white roof and paint, and have the roof about a foot above the walls and ventilator (whirl-a-gig model). plenty of vents at the bottom (cover with steel mesh to keep critters seeking shelter out).

If the construction is beyond your comfort level, a ready-made storage shed from the local big box can be adapted. Tell the installers to cut the walls short top and bottom - have the wire cloth (the 1/4" square metal stuff) and hammer-in stapes (or whatever they're called) on hand and cut to height - they just may install it gratis if you keep them supplied with cold water or soda (NOT BEER!).
I heard of a kind woman who, first thing in the morning, supplied the work crew with a case of beer. These were roofers. Of all the kind of workers to have drinking on the job, I'd rate roofers up there with surgeons.

It's really best NOT to have units in a building. If you are worried about the LCD display, there are many ways to protect them besides putting them inside a building.

While this is an old thread, I find myself with the same question...Pentair or Raypak gas heater to replace for my old Teledyne LAARS? Wife wanted the spa in the pool working sooner than later and I am getting mixed advice from the local "pros" on which have installed. Thanks for your time and advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.