Solar heat

CB

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 21, 2012
Central Ohio
I'm thinking of adding some solar panels to my above ground pool.There are lots of manufacters out there and I was wondering what qualities I should be looking for in a good mid priced solar set up?Basically which brands are worth the money?

In additon to what JohnT mentions, Fafco panels get generally good reviews here on the forum.....I personally do not have any experience.....just repeating what others are reporting.

Hey CB, I use the Sungrabber system, got it off ebay. I started with a manual valve and check valves then added the Helio-Matic controller, Jandy actuator and sensors. I have 6 2X20 panels mounted on my second story roof. It's about a 30' lift for the pump. The system works great and I can get the pool to swim temp in late March early April with it staying warm until early October. Just remember you are using sunlight and ambient air temp. so it won't get the pool to say 75 when it's 50 out. The only issue I've had is one panel sprung a leak (panel 7) so I just removed it last season and ran on 6. I will be replacing it this season. The other was going down to a 1hp pump to try and save some energy but it doesn't have enough lift to keep the air check valve shut and I get air in the system. VERY inefficient, I'm going back to a 1.5hp pump. My panels also point to 78 degrees east. Also not the most efficient. All that said I am VERY happy with my install and the heat I get from them. Another great feature is on the really hot days you can use them at night to cool the pool off. One word of caution on the automatic setup. When there is water sitting in the panels on a hot day it gets extremely hot and can cause a burn from the returns when it cycles on. Just be careful.

I was looking at those very panels earlier.Good to hear that they work as advertised.Are you running 2 check valves currently or 1 diverter valve and 1check valve?
Any experience with the solar bear panels? I like the idea that they are 4ft. wide(less connectors).

I started with a two way shutoff valve between supply and return pipes to the panels and two check valves. I now have the automatic 3-way and one check valve on the return line from the panels. I think it helps them drain down so no freeze worries. I don't have any experience with the bear panels. I know the Sungrabber's advertise a 4'x20' kit but they are actually 2- 2'x20' panels. Either way you go I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how well they work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.